PDA

View Full Version : crazy glue checkering??

foxx
06-30-2014, 08:13 PM
I am in the final stages of a 110 build for a friend. It's sort of a gift from me to him for his wife...

He wants matte oil finish on the walnut stock, and would like the checkering a little darker than the rest of the stock...

So far I have stripped and sanded and stained it dark walnut, it's looking pretty good. Now I am considering applying crazy glue to the checkering to keep them sharp and durable. (I read a post somewhere on here a while ago that it works well.) My concern is whenever I have used it on wood before, it laves a semi-gloss finish. In spite of that, I am tempted to try it. If it were mine, I would go ahead and try it, but I am hesitant because I don't know how it will turn out, and there is no going back if it doesn't look good when I am done.

My question is this: Has anyone else here done this before? What were the results? Any opinions?

sharpshooter
07-01-2014, 02:30 AM
I know a few guys that checker, and they do it while checkering to keep points nice and sharp. When they are done checkering, they go over the pattern one more time with a light pass with the checkering tool to uniform the pattern and the color.