PDA

View Full Version : Who Has Shot Their New Heavy Barrel Axis

Pages : 1 [2]

Chrazy-Chris
08-06-2014, 12:29 AM
How heavy is the HB axis? Is it closer to a bull barrel or a heavy sporter? I'm considering chopping one down to 16" to make my own cheaper version of a "precision carbine." Bad idea?

Edit: I would probably do 18" since 16" is pretty darned short. I would have it cut and threaded for my specwar 762 can. Would a HB Axis be a good project rifle for this?

tomme boy
08-08-2014, 03:34 PM
Well I picked up my 223 HB Axis today. I went out and shot it this afternoon. The trigger is HORRIBLE! I went with the Weaver base. I had a 6.5x20x50 scope that was extra laying around and a set of Burris Tactical six screw rings in low. I had this on my model 10 so I knew it would fit. I used blue loctite and sprayed the primer on the screws first before applying the locktite. If you have never used the primer, it really works. I have never had anything come loose using it. I used to use it at work. That was how I found it.

Anyway, I did the breakin by firing 10 shots cleaning between each. Then just sighted in and shot about 100 rounds. I do have one problem that may need to be addressed. I am getting cratered primers. I had one pierce. The face of the bolthead looks like crap. Not sure if I should get in touch with Savage or just order a PTG bolthead? Does anyone know if their bolthead fits the Axis?

Accuracy was so-so. Not bad, but I will have to wait till I get the stock changed and the trigger done.

The barrel is the same profile as the Varmint

Mitchbcs
02-09-2015, 02:03 AM
The removal of the overtravel has nothing to do with bolt removal. Do not mess with the setscrew that contact the sliding safety.
As far as the spring, when you go to True Value, just pick a spring what will fit OVER the 10-24 setscrew. You DO NOT want a spring so small in diameter that it screws onto the setscrew. Why?
Because if it does, the only part that will provide spring force will be the part of the spring that is 'free' above the setscrew.
By using a spring slightly larger in diameter than the screw, will allow the screw to hold it in place. Pick up a few springs and experiment. Even though they are a whopping $1 each, you can get 3 or 4 trigger jobs out of each spring.
There is a person selling a Savage 'like' dual diameter (lighter) spring for #20. This will reduce the pull weight, BUT will do NOTHING for overtravel.

ron

What exactly does the #10-24 screw do to decrease the creep or over travel? It doesn't appear to touch anything, just hold the spring in the right spot.... Can you explain in detail please.
(I've tried to PM you but your box is full)

Kscoggins
02-13-2015, 07:32 AM
What exactly does the #10-24 screw do to decrease the creep or over travel? It doesn't appear to touch anything, just hold the spring in the right spot.... Can you explain in detail please.
(I've tried to PM you but your box is full)

It gets rid of overtravel. You set it so it stops the trigger just after it breaks.

Mitchbcs
02-13-2015, 02:40 PM
It gets rid of overtravel. You set it so it stops the trigger just after it breaks.

Ok that's pretty obvious now that you say that : ). Lol. I'm a Bowhunter so not too savvy on trigger lingo. I guess I was thinking that screw was gonna help with creep. Assuming crepe is the distance you pull trigger before it goes boom.

Does over travel effect a persons shot at all? Or just preference? Seems like it wouldn't matter if the gun already fired.

I sound like a moron, sorry. Just trying to learn the talk and understand triggers a little.

Thanks for answering scoggins.