PDA

View Full Version : WHO DOE'S THE BEST BEDDING JOB ON FACTORY 12 BENCHREST?

docshu
03-29-2010, 04:19 PM
HEY GUY'S I'VE READ THIS SITE FOR SEVERAL YEARS BUT THIS IS MY FIRST POST.
I HAVE A NEW 12 LONG RANGE BENCHREST IN 6MMBR, THIS RIFLE SHOOTS GREAT FOR A FACTORY RIFLE MOSTLY IN THE 2s AND 3s FOR FIVE SHOOTS @100YDS.
THE PROBLEM IS THE LACK OF A BEDDING JOB, THE PILLARS ARE 3/16" BELOW THE LEVEL OF THE WOOD.
I WANT TO SEND THIS RIFLE OFF AND HAVE A PROFESSIONAL PILLAR BEDDING JOB DONE, SO WHO DO YOU SUGGEST, GREATFULL FOR ANY HELP IN THIS.

EFBell
03-29-2010, 04:58 PM
Sharp Shooter Supply known as SSS (Fred Moreo) on the boards here is the "Go To" Savage Guru. There are plenty of others to be sure but Fred's the guy around here. He is a site sponser here as well. Many site members including myself usually do our own bedding jobs. If you would prefer to have someone do it for you feel free to contact Fred and get on the list.

PS, turn your caps lock off next time, as it makes people uneasy (considered shouting on the internet).

okbob51
03-29-2010, 05:06 PM
I have a benchrest too only, I haven't shot mine yet. What loads are you using to shoot in the 2s and 3s?
Thanks

JCalhoun
03-29-2010, 07:00 PM
+1 on SSS. Fred shoots BR so he knows a few things about it.

Eric in NC
03-29-2010, 07:25 PM
Agree with others (bed it yourself or go to SSS if you aren't confident you can do it - YOU CAN) - although if my rifle was consistently shooting in the .2's and .3's I might leave well enough alone...

jo191145
03-29-2010, 08:18 PM
Personally I would'nt worry about the sunken pillars. Bed right over em. The object of the bedding is to fully support the action. The pillars only job after that is to keep the screws from pulling through the wood. That is soley just my opinion ;D

8x57mm
03-29-2010, 08:31 PM
Does the Accu-stock not forego the need for bedding?

JR

jo191145
03-29-2010, 08:48 PM
Does the Accu-stock not forego the need for bedding?

JR

Pretty much. Maybe a dab behind the recoil lug to make sure its making full contact with the block without undue lateral pressures. Besides that I would not bed the action.

docshu
03-30-2010, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the input gentlemen.
The reason i want to have this rifle bedded is for consistency.
As i have stated the rifle will shoot in the low 2s and 3s if you make sure the tang isn't touching the stock and that the action screws are re-tightened evenly, if not the same load that just shot in the low 2s will open up to the 6s or worse.
As to the loads I'm shooting, I haven't tried anything in the rifle that it hates, I've got good results with Varget, Reloader 15, Benchmark, 4895 and even IMR 4064, with bullets ranging from 55 Sierra Blitzking to Sierra 107s.
I couldn't be more pleased with the rifle or the way it shoots but i don't think i will ever get it to shoot consistently until it has a proper bedding job.
Has anyone here ever used TM STOCKWORKS?
I hear he doe's excellent work.
DOCSHU

wbm
03-30-2010, 10:19 AM
although if my rifle was consistently shooting in the .2's and .3's I might leave well enough alone...

For sure!

BobT
04-01-2010, 02:34 AM
As i have stated the rifle will shoot in the low 2s and 3s if you make sure the tang isn't touching the stock and that the action screws are re-tightened evenly

Even with the bedding job you still need to do this, it's just good practice!

Bob

TnTom
04-07-2010, 10:50 PM
My 12BVSS had a similar condition with the front pillar and with the tang in contact on one side of the stock. I added about .030" to the front pillar getting it above the wood and added .005 clearance under the tang and it settled right in. I also bedded the recoil lug. I'm able to easily pass a cigarette paper freely all the way around, between the action and stock, with no contact under the tang.
It really made a difference.
My first thought was to bed it but I don't see the need any longer. SSS can take care of it if you go that route.