PDA

View Full Version : B-Mag Series: Overheated B.mag?

Poor Shot
06-27-2014, 04:19 PM
Rifle (SS heavy barrel) has only been shot about 50 times. Went to range today to try it with 20 grain ammo. Last time I used 25 grain ammo. Very humid, hot day and no wind. Fired about 30 rounds at target 50 yards away. Bolt had been getting a little stiffer to work until I had to just smack it hard to get it to open. It did not, and would not, eject the shell. Barrel of gun was very hot also. Did not have a cleaning rod with me so I took the rifle home and got the brass out with a rod. Barrel had cooled down until it was just barely warm by then. Went back to the range and shot another 25-30 rounds and the same thing happened. Barrel was very hot again. Nothing wrong with the extractor or any thing else that I can see. Do you all think that is what will happen when these things get hot? :o

Reeseman
06-27-2014, 04:52 PM
I have not had any problems with mine at all like that . Is the chamber clean ? Are any of the spent cases split or bulged ?

I have not shot more than 50 rounds with out pulling a snake through the bore . Been treating the little 17 like a center fire on the advise of the shop that I bought it from .

I have paced myself when at the range between 5 round groups not letting it get real hot . It does build heat compared to other rimfire ammo quickly .

I would give the chamber and barrel a good cleaning along with the bolt face .

I doubt heat was the main cause .

Poor Shot
06-27-2014, 08:24 PM
I have not had any problems with mine at all like that . Is the chamber clean ? Are any of the spent cases split or bulged ?

I have not shot more than 50 rounds with out pulling a snake through the bore . Been treating the little 17 like a center fire on the advise of the shop that I bought it from .

I have paced myself when at the range between 5 round groups not letting it get real hot . It does build heat compared to other rimfire ammo quickly .

I would give the chamber and barrel a good cleaning along with the bolt face .

I doubt heat was the main cause .

1. I did not have that problem when I used 25 grain ammo and I probably shot more than 30 times.
2. Yes, chamber is clean.
3. No split or bulged cases.
4. I never shoot any of my guns more than 50 times without pulling the snake and running a few patches through.
5. Maybe I should let it cool off between groups. It got as hot as one of my AK's does. Also it was a really hot and humid day.
6. After a day at the range, I thoroughly clean whatever gun I was using.
7. Heat was probably a contributor to the problem.
8. If I were using it to hunt varmints, I would not be shooting it all that much and probably not have a problem.
9. One other strange thing is that the hotter it got, the better the groups looked. Just the opposite of the results I read other people are getting.

Reeseman
06-27-2014, 11:45 PM
The more rounds mine shoots it shoots more consistent . It likes a fouled barrel . I think these barrels need to season . I have 220 rounds down the tube now and it is really settling down .I have been pulling the snake thru after 30 rounds until I figure it out . I shot some 25 grainers today for the first time and they open up to 1 3/4'' to 2'' groups . the 20 grain stays right around 1 1/2'' at 100 yards .

You could take a nylon brush and some JB Bore Paste and polish the chamber a little bit . It won't hurt anything . I did it to a 22 mag with extraction issues and it cured it after I checked every thing over several times .

The second batch of 20 grain I purchased was full of low powered rounds with a noticeable low report that would send some wild fliers spoiling decent groups

Overall I like the gun for what I plan on using it for . My shots are normally 100 yards or less where I hunt .

I didn't realize you got it that hot . We are all learning as we go with these .

I don't have a lot of faith in the Winchester ammo so far . Hopefully CCI will step up and make it too . I had a lot of trouble with the Winchester 22 mag 34 grain with split cases and weak rounds . Its awesome stuff if you get a good batch . I went back to Maxi Mags .

Poor Shot
06-28-2014, 07:00 PM
I would like somebody else also making the ammo. I think some of the accuracy problems would clear up. And maybe it wouldn't be so hard to find.

bremereric
07-19-2014, 03:26 PM
I had two rounds not extract from the bore of my flimsy barrel last time I shot 75 rounds. I rolled up some 400 grit wet/dry paper and polished the bore of other guns that had the extraction problem and it went away.