PDA

View Full Version : Savage Varmint Action from NSS

capreppy
06-26-2014, 12:36 PM
Anyone bought one of these (http://northlandshooterssupply.com/savage-actions/)?

Are these "better" than a standard off the shelf action? Are they a little smoother on the bolt lift? Or do they still need a good bolt lift mod to make them smoother?

I know I can ask Jim, but am curious as to what others think of this action. I'm considering one of these for a long range 223 repeater.

Also, do they come with a trigger package? I'd probably replace with a Rifle Basix anyway.

Thanks!!

jonbearman
06-26-2014, 02:28 PM
They come with an accutrigger and yes you will have to tweak it to get the bolt lift smoother.I would suggest the kiff-lambeth kit from pacific tool and gage.

jpdown
06-26-2014, 03:39 PM
The varmint action uses the same body as the standard action. They are upgraded with the large knob bolt handle, the lighter (1.5#) varmint Accutrigger spring and metal bottom parts. Bolt lift and fit won't be any different from the standard Savage action.

capreppy
06-26-2014, 04:34 PM
They come with an accutrigger and yes you will have to tweak it to get the bolt lift smoother.I would suggest the kiff-lambeth kit from pacific tool and gage.

I am planning to send my current actions to Dark Eagle for his bolt lift mod. My buddy had his done and he is pretty impressed with it (he's not that easy to impress).

The varmint action uses the same body as the standard action. They are upgraded with the large knob bolt handle, the lighter (1.5#) varmint Accutrigger spring and metal bottom parts. Bolt lift and fit won't be any different from the standard Savage action.

So this really isn't that "special" from a regular action. The bottom metal I won't need as this would be going into an XLR chassis so I would be using an AICS system. The Accutrigger won't help as I would be replacing it with a Rifle Basix anyway and the bolt knob would be going away as well (I'm replacing with a threaded handle and putting a Surgeon Sniper Bolt Knob on it).

Hmm. I guess this really does answer my questions. Thanks everyone. I think I'll keep what I have and make the investments in my rifles I was already planning.

DanSavage
06-26-2014, 04:56 PM
I have the DarkEagle precision ground extra thick recoil lug, which was a great addition for one of my builds. I know Dan and have seen many of his builds in person,,, they are amazing and Dan does excellent work.