PDA

View Full Version : New AccuTrigger issues

mudfish
06-26-2014, 12:37 AM
New Savage 10 AccuTrigger. It clicks and locks up if any side pressure is applied instead of straight back. Originally had it set as light as it would go minus 1/2 turn, just like the other 3 AccuTriggers I own. It was locking up every other shot. So I increased the pull to 1.5 turns. Same issue. Increased to 3 turns. Same issue. I COULD continue to increase the pull weight but I do not want a heavy trigger pull, I want it med/light.

NONE of the other 3 AccuTriggers I own have ever had this issue. This newest one has more side to side play in the trigger like it needs to be shimmed. This is a hunting rifle, it needs to shoot when I pull the trigger even if it's at a slightly odd angle or from an abnormal shooting position.

So what's the deal? Did I get a lemon AccuTrigger?

I'm about ready to toss it in the garbage and replace it with a RifleBasix.

jpdown
06-26-2014, 10:26 AM
Does it do the same thing if you remove the action from the stock or loosen the action bolts? If not, I would take the trigger guard off and look to see if the rear of the trigger is contacting the stock just above the rear trigger guard screw. If so, only minor contact could be causing the problem. I had a similar problem on a re-stocked varmint rifle and it took me forever to figure out what was causing the problem the first time. A little dremel work in this area should fix it.

mudfish
06-26-2014, 10:40 AM
It does the same thing with or without the stock on the action.

The last new Savage (Cub 22lr) I bought had to go back to Savage to have the peep sights corrected. This is the 2nd jacked up Savage in a row.

I could send it back to Savage but they are closed for an entire month every summer right about now... I'd rather just buy a new trigger than wait two months and maybe miss part of hunting season... Not real happy with Savage right now.

mudfish
06-27-2014, 01:25 AM
Well I cranked on the adjustment screw all the way up and down several times. Then set it as light as it would go and back 1 turn. Fired 50 rounds today from the bench without any issues. Must have worked out a kink in the spring or something. Seems to be working fine now.

jpdown
06-27-2014, 08:55 AM
I believe there is a quote, "necessity is the mother of invention". Glad you got it working.

darkker
06-27-2014, 12:39 PM
Sounds like the classic "half drop". Essentially can't set it all the way light. They don't do a tight enough job on angles and assembly.

chanerz
06-27-2014, 02:22 PM
Savage trigger does that. Too light and you'll lock up the trigger and sometimes does a slam fire. Just upgrade the trigger to a Timney or Rifle Basix.

Bowguy
07-02-2014, 09:51 PM
Just installed a Timney after returning from a prairie dog shoot where the accutrigger gave me a lot of grief. After returning home I fixed the accutrigger but lost confidence in it.

mudfish
07-26-2014, 09:17 AM
Well, it started doing it again about 100 rounds later. This AccuTrigger is going in the trash as soon as I get RifleBasix-2. I can't have an unreliable trigger on a hunting rifle. It's not "me". I have another centerfire AccuTrigger that has never once done this in many thousands of rounds on the bench, in the field, prone, weak hand, sideways, in the rain, etc, 100% reliable. And two other AccuTriggers with light use and zero problems. But this new rifle malfunctions right out of the gate. Savage changed something or installed a defective trigger on this one.