PDA

View Full Version : extractor upgrades?

kevwil
06-25-2014, 11:35 PM
I'm having trouble locating parts to replace/upgrade my extractor. Given that my rifle is about two months old and already has extractor failure, I'm not excited about replacing the parts with OEM, since they seem to be of lackluster design/quality. Is there a better extractor out there? Where can I find the 0.140 detent ball that everyone seems to recommend over the OEM 0.125 ball? Any tips would be appreciated, especially if I can find a way to have parts in hand by Friday.

scope eye
06-26-2014, 06:03 AM
Hi, Not sure anyone makes an aftermarket extractor, any bicycle shop should have the 140s.

Dean

kevwil
06-26-2014, 03:01 PM
Thanks! There's a bicycle shop a block away from work ... maybe that and cleaning out the bolt head will get me through the comp this weekend.

Dennis
06-27-2014, 06:42 PM
Hi, Not sure anyone makes an aftermarket extractor, any bicycle shop should have the 140s.

Their out there . . .

CharlieNC
06-28-2014, 09:23 AM
Kev I have some big balls! If you don't find them drop me your address in a PM and I will mail you a few.

kevwil
07-13-2014, 03:55 PM
I've replaced the extractor detent ball with a .140, but my rifle still won't eject shells reliably. What's the next step?

BillPa
07-13-2014, 05:27 PM
I've replaced the extractor detent ball with a .140, but my rifle still won't eject shells reliably. What's the next step?

Can you be a bit more specific what's happening. Does it only happen with an empty case, loaded round or both?

Bill

kevwil
07-13-2014, 11:06 PM
The bolt head releases the shell before it can clear the ejection port, and just falls on top of the next round. It happens about 50% of the time with fired shells and 100% of the time with snap caps.

Westcliffe01
07-13-2014, 11:27 PM
Are you certain that you are in fact cycling the bolt all the way back, and doing so "smartly" ? Savage, Remington, etc are not controlled feed. There is some sensitivity to the rate that you cycle the bolt. Honestly. the Savage extractor seems a lot more robust than the Remington extractor. The bolt design I assume precludes the use of a M16 style extractor.

kevwil
07-14-2014, 12:48 AM
There is some sensitivity to the rate that you cycle the bolt. Honestly. the Savage extractor seems a lot more robust than the Remington extractor.

I've tried different rates of bolt draw, but it didn't seem to make any difference.

Rewinder
07-14-2014, 02:50 AM
What size bolthead. maybe the wrong length extractor was installed. .375 casehead extractors are longer than .473 extractors Inside dia. of boltface,to case dia. could be a sloppy fit. Any changes in the cartridge headspace. Randy

BillPa
07-14-2014, 08:28 AM
The bolt head releases the shell before it can clear the ejection port, and just falls on top of the next round. It happens about 50% of the time with fired shells and 100% of the time with snap caps.

OK, its common problem. Its probably more the ejector spring than the extractor. The ejector needs to have enough tension to keep a case pressed against the lug race until it clears the port to kick it out. Chances are better than even the ejector spring is compressed and or bent out of shape like the one on the right. It should look like the new one on the left. The spring should measure ~.620" in length.

http://i49.tinypic.com/1zppm40.jpg

The ejector on the left is the new style. The follower(tail) prevents the spring being over compressed and keeps it straight. So far I've "upgraded" eight of my actions the new style ejector and a new spring with 100% success. Those parts are are available directly from Savage P/Ns - Ejector 100129, Ejector spring 100131. Don't waste your money on the old style ejectors.

There are few other tricks, but replace those parts first.

Bill

FW Conch
07-14-2014, 09:04 AM
Bill, if you don't mind, when did the new parts come into use?

Thanks.......Jim

BillPa
07-14-2014, 12:06 PM
Bill, if you don't mind, when did the new parts come into use?

Thanks.......Jim

I'm not sure. Someone posted a picture of the new ejector maybe 1-1/2 - 2 years ago. It was shortly after I emailed Joe Degrande about them. After a few back and forth emails and one chat the phone he sent me three sets, ejectors, springs and retaining pins. I later bought six more sets plus six new extractors.

The first one I "upgraded" was my oldest grandson's 14. It would barely kick out a case sometimes not at all. I had already replaced the extractor and ball with the .140". With the new extractor and spring it flings them out, no problems since. The only problem child was my 250Imp. I had to increase the ejector protrusion on that one a bit.

Its to the point if one gets lazy or if I pull an ejector I'll install a new ejector and spring.

Bill

kevwil
07-15-2014, 02:36 AM
What size bolthead. maybe the wrong length extractor was installed. .375 casehead extractors are longer than .473 extractors Inside dia. of boltface,to case dia. could be a sloppy fit. Any changes in the cartridge headspace. Randy

I measured .382 inside the bolt face. It's the 12 LRP in .260, if that makes any difference.

kevwil
07-15-2014, 02:38 AM
OK, its common problem. Its probably more the ejector spring than the extractor. The ejector needs to have enough tension to keep a case pressed against the lug race until it clears the port to kick it out. Chances are better than even the ejector spring is compressed and or bent out of shape like the one on the right. It should look like the new one on the left. The spring should measure ~.620" in length.

http://i49.tinypic.com/1zppm40.jpg

The ejector on the left is the new style. The follower(tail) prevents the spring being over compressed and keeps it straight. So far I've "upgraded" eight of my actions the new style ejector and a new spring with 100% success. Those parts are are available directly from Savage P/Ns - Ejector 100129, Ejector spring 100131. Don't waste your money on the old style ejectors.

There are few other tricks, but replace those parts first.

Bill

Thanks! Sounds like an inexpensive fix, too.

FW Conch
07-15-2014, 09:42 AM
kevwil, you need a .473" bolt face for a 260Rem????????

kevwil
07-15-2014, 02:24 PM
Maybe I measured wrong, but this is the factory bolt. :confused: