PDA

View Full Version : Black around case necks on my gun, but not on others?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

fgw_in_fla
06-29-2014, 03:09 PM
Don't sweat it. He enjoys the attention.

cranebird
06-29-2014, 03:41 PM
I'll bite the bullet and ask why was it important to boast the New 1/4" shank on the package ?

http://s20.postimg.org/w2w29xn8t/DSCN2318.jpg

GaryB
06-29-2014, 04:16 PM
I'll bite the bullet and ask why was it important to boast the New 1/4" shank on the package ?

http://s20.postimg.org/w2w29xn8t/DSCN2318.jpg

I don't know the answer to your riddle, but do yourself a favor and buy the cutter with the big ball handle. :p

cranebird
06-29-2014, 04:52 PM
I don't know the answer to your riddle, but do yourself a favor and buy the cutter with the big ball handle. :p

I think the "new 1/4" shank" is in code ?

I've been meaning to ask scope eye what glue he uses on his primers ? I have a wood ball from a craft shop and am looking to drill and glue it onto the cutter head. I try to cut the inflated cost of things when I can.

cranebird
06-29-2014, 05:26 PM
OK,I went out and poked a hole in the craft ball.
http://s20.postimg.org/4tkovfm5p/DSCN2319.jpg

This is what it 'll look like only glued in when I get the glue recommendation from Scope eye. Actually I whacked too big of a hole and need my square from work to align the piece straight in the ball when gluing it up.

http://s20.postimg.org/to46pi6zx/DSCN2320.jpg

http://s20.postimg.org/cc3u42dil/DSCN2323.jpg

fgw_in_fla
06-29-2014, 05:58 PM
I used a little Elmers when I made mine.
And it was closest to the edge of the shelf when I looked for some glue in my collection.
Worked out OK and I was able to remove the cutter when it dulled and needed to be replaced.
As far as keeping it straight, the case length gage part will keep it straight. Keeping even pressure with a crooked gage may be a different story if it's pitched on an angle.

PS - set it deeper in the wood. The closer your hand is to the case, the easier it it'll be to control pressure on the cutter.

fgw_in_fla
06-29-2014, 06:04 PM

I just looked at all 14 lock studs I have, some were bought 5 - 6 years ago. All of them are 1/4".
I have no answer to your question. Now its up to you to research it and tell us why or we'll all be losing sleep over this.
Thanks for nuthin'...

acemisser
06-29-2014, 06:06 PM
I had the same isssue with my 6BR..So I anealed the brass and when I went
to the range with my so called pet load,the accuracy had went to hell.
Would this be due to the annealing of the brass.This is lapua brass
and has been shot 13 times.I have had some shooters tell me they never
anneal.Is there something to this or just a fluk thing ?

fgw_in_fla
06-29-2014, 06:12 PM
I'm not familiar with using Lapua brass.
I am familiar with over heating the brass when annealing and I also had accuracy drop off on a few rounds that I cooked. Probably less springiness to the case neck which would affect neck tension.
I recall the "brass in question" - when I pressed in the bullet it went in reeeeeeaallll easy. One of those mistakes I try not to repeat too often.

acemisser
06-29-2014, 06:27 PM
I'm not familiar with using Lapua brass.
I am familiar with over heating the brass when annealing and I also had accuracy drop off on a few rounds that I cooked. Probably less springiness to the case neck which would affect neck tension.
I recall the "brass in question" - when I pressed in the bullet it went in reeeeeeaallll easy. One of those mistakes I try not to repeat too often.

I did not think the bullets seated any different in these cases.Only thing to do is try some
that had not been annealed yet and see what happens.Thanks Frank..

cranebird
06-29-2014, 06:29 PM
I used a little Elmers when I made mine.
And it was closest to the edge of the shelf when I looked for some glue in my collection.
Worked out OK and I was able to remove the cutter when it dulled and needed to be replaced.
As far as keeping it straight, the case length gage part will keep it straight. Keeping even pressure with a crooked gage may be a different story if it's pitched on an angle.

PS - set it deeper in the wood. The closer your hand is to the case, the easier it it'll be to control pressure on the cutter.

Thanks, after I finish my cup of coffee, I'll set it deeper. I know it doesn't matter if it is exactly straight for function but for peace at mind, it makes all of the difference in the world. Natchez is where I got my other sets. I believe they were $4.95 there but I can't remember if the package read the same ?

fgw_in_fla
06-29-2014, 07:36 PM
I think they put that "new, improved 1/4"" thing on there to confuse us.

It appears it may have worked, too.

BillPa
06-29-2014, 07:49 PM
I had the same isssue with my 6BR..So I anealed the brass and when I went
to the range with my so called pet load,the accuracy had went to hell.
Would this be due to the annealing of the brass.This is lapua brass
and has been shot 13 times.I have had some shooters tell me they never
anneal.Is there something to this or just a fluk thing ?

It could be a fluke. Some guys anneal after every reloading-firing cycle.

Some brass work hardens more/faster than others. I have a batch of 25-06 Rem brass I have to re-anneal after two firings otherwise I'll almost rip the press off the bench pulling the expander through the necks.

One way to tell if its time is the pliers test. Gently squeeze the neck with a pliers until it just starts to deform then release the pliers. If it springs back its time to toast it. If it stays load it.

When annealing you also want to include the shoulder especially if you're bump'm them. They work harden too. It can mean the difference between a consistent bump in one pass or two or three to override the spring back.

Bill

cranebird
06-29-2014, 07:50 PM
I would have never guessed that it was added purely for entertainment purposes....... Brilliant marketing scheme. I glued the ball with elmers wood glue.I am wishing now that I had a shelf collection of glue to choose from. What a great topic that would have been in the help me decided section...

signed still sleepless in the Hamlet of Wheeler, NY.

grendelguy
06-29-2014, 08:03 PM
I have seen the black marks in question before except in a reverse. A friend on mine had a m700 tactical in .308 and I was shooting a model 10 McMillan. The brass was pretty clean out of the Savage and very black neck on the Rem. I should state that both rifles were basically new and we were shooting Fggm ammo.
We started doing oal testing for reloads and the Rem chamber could take loads almost .200" longer so I wrote off the black as just a long throated chamber. You could not load for this rifle into the lands and still use the blind mag, the McMillan shoots lights out at 2.800"

cranebird
06-30-2014, 02:24 AM
I have seen the black marks in question before except in a reverse. A friend on mine had a m700 tactical in .308 and I was shooting a model 10 McMillan. The brass was pretty clean out of the Savage and very black neck on the Rem. I should state that both rifles were basically new and we were shooting Fggm ammo.
We started doing oal testing for reloads and the Rem chamber could take loads almost .200" longer so I wrote off the black as just a long throated chamber. You could not load for this rifle into the lands and still use the blind mag, the McMillan shoots lights out at 2.800" There might be something to the long throat theory .My .223 has a OAL of 2.419" to the lands with a Nosler 55 gr varmint Ballistic tip bullet.

fgw_in_fla
06-30-2014, 06:37 AM
I'll bet Deano never sees any black soot marks on the necks of his brass.

Stretch marks, yes.
But no black marks...

Storm off the coast of Fla. this morning forecasted to strengthen and cause lots of rain. It's been raining here so much I need to use a rowboat to get out to my mailbox.
Think I'll go back to bed.

BillPa
06-30-2014, 07:43 AM
Storm off the coast of Fla. this morning forecasted to strengthen and cause lots of rain. It's been raining here so much I need to use a rowboat to get out to my mailbox.
Think I'll go back to bed.

Lucky you. I have three grandchildren here today. Wanna trade? You can deal with the savage beasts, I'll row the boat! :p

Bill ( where's my Prozac) Pa.

fgw_in_fla
06-30-2014, 08:10 AM
Remember Bill...
The best thing about grandkids is they go home after a while.
Play your cards right and get them all sugared up before you send them home. It's a great way to get even with the kids...

And to answer your question, NO.
I have a granddaughter here 3 to 5 days a week for additional education. Trying to fill in the blanks from what schools are conveniently leaving out.
Have fun and play nice.

emtrescue6
06-30-2014, 08:26 AM
Remember Bill...
The best thing about grandkids is they go home after a while.
Play your cards right and get them all sugared up before you send them home. It's a great way to get even with the kids...

And to answer your question, NO.
I have a granddaughter here 3 to 5 days a week for additional education. Trying to fill in the blanks from what schools are conveniently leaving out.
Have fun and play nice.

Isn't our education system a wonderful thing now days? We spend several hours a week supplementing our daughters education at home.....