PDA

View Full Version : B&C Medalist surface roughness

DennisPA
06-25-2014, 08:47 AM
I recently got a B&C Medalist stock for a bench rifle. I really like the stock for the price but the surface is rough and doesn’t ride the bags very well. I have considered putting a skim coat of JB weld in the bag areas and then sanding it smooth. Or just trying to sand the rubbery rough surface down till I get to something smoother. Any thoughts would be great.

rjtfroggy
06-25-2014, 09:09 AM
Before you go through all that trouble try some baby powder on the bags or a piece of stock tape on it. then see if it rides better.

BoilerUP
06-25-2014, 10:17 AM
You might be better off with a BVSS stock.

DennisPA
06-25-2014, 10:47 AM
I'm just trying to make the best out of what I have for now. In a couple years I might spring for a full custom benchrest stock. As for the BVSS your right that is a great factory stock.

FW Conch
06-25-2014, 04:47 PM
Dennis, I have the same stock and I think that the aluminum skeleton and bedding block are first rate, especially for the price.

But something that I do not understand across the board is, why does "Tactical" or "Varmint" have to mean "rough as a cob"?

I modified my Medalist quite a bit by re shaping the grip and the cheek weld area, as well as dropping the heal 3/4". I followed the shape and dimensions from the Thumbhole Laminents that I have, and it fits the same. I sanded through the paint and gel coat down into the fiberglass itself. Then I resealed those areas with polyester resin and painted them. Came out good.

You probably won't need to go that deep for your purposes, and I don't think you will need anything as thick as JB Weld. I think one or more coats of polyester resin will do the job for you. Just sand it smooth and paint it to suite.

Good Luck and please let us know the results.......Jim

DennisPA
07-03-2014, 08:06 AM
Thanks to everyone for the help. I did some sanding with some 400 grit and it smoothed out great! Still needs some more sanding, but it is way better then it was. I just sanded the areas that would touch the bags. Once I do some more finsh sanding I'll paint and seal. I'll see how it does at the range this weekend. Thanks again.

stomp442
07-03-2014, 10:30 AM
As mentioned baby powder works great and also a used dryer sheet set in the bags. Makes things really smooth.

Trygve
07-05-2014, 10:30 AM
I have done of 20+ B&C stock some personal builds some not but best way to mod the stock is start rly low with sandpaper then use baby powder or something similar since the stock with have tiny gaps in it after sanding. Better to do more sanding with say 200 grit and then powder then swap and do again instead of going to a higher grit and cause deformation.

Also if you have access to some heavy leather with jewelers rouge on it you can literally polish it up. Had a guy doing tactical competitions and it was getting caught on his gloves so polished back side of grip so no catch what so ever on those black hawk style gloves that seem to grab everything.