PDA

View Full Version : How do YOU adjust Lee Collet dies?

n4ue
06-23-2014, 05:20 PM
I only have a couple of Lee Collet die sets. I use A RockChucker for most of my rifle loads. The directions that Lee supplies, want you to put the sizing die down pretty far in the press. This is for the sizing die. It cautions about the press 'camming over'.......
I adjust the Lee sizing die to JUST 'cam over', (end of stroke), feeling that this will prevent excessive pressure on the die and give greater consistency. I know if you try hard enough, you will crush the case......

I don't know how they expect to apply ''X number of pounds of force" when the press is nowhere near the end of it's stroke......... How in the world can this be consistent?

ron

DanSavage
06-23-2014, 05:36 PM
I set mine up like you, although my Lee press doesn't have the cam over feature. I set it up for the press handle to bottom out giving the neck tension that I desire. If you run her up in the collet once, then give the case a 180 turn and run her through again you'l get a slightly more neck tension, but I usually run the case in once and be done with it. I love the LCD's.

I agree,, I don't feel comfortable having the die way down and using a guess of the same pressure on the press handle.

barrel-nut
06-23-2014, 07:02 PM
I also set mine up to cam over in my Hornady press. But be careful- I set my .243 collet die a little too deep and when it "cammed over", it blew the aluminum cap-plug thing out the top of the die. Just stripped the threads right off of the plug. I still set my others this way though, just very carefully. Like the others have stated, I believe this is a more consistent way to use it.

bootsmcguire
06-24-2014, 12:22 AM
I set mine up like you, although my Lee press doesn't have the cam over feature. I set it up for the press handle to bottom out giving the neck tension that I desire. If you run her up in the collet once, then give the case a 180 turn and run her through again you'l get a slightly more neck tension, but I usually run the case in once and be done with it. I love the LCD's.

Same for me.

n4ue
06-24-2014, 03:04 PM
Thanks guys. I had a Lee Challenger press at one time. I didn't remember if it cammed over or not. I think I gave it to a buddy who was just getting into reloading.

I DO remember when playing with my first LCD, I set the die too deep. The 223 case had a huge bulge/pushed back shoulder. The neck looked good though!

thanks again.......

ron