PDA

View Full Version : B-Mag Series: Has anyone tried the 17 WSM in a Winchester 1885 or a custom rifle?

sparky123321
06-23-2014, 03:54 PM
I'd love to know what kind of accuracy can be achieved with the 17 WMS in a single shot Winchester 1885 or a custom rifle. I still believe all the accuracy issues being experienced with the Bmag are ammo related and not because of thin barrels or quality issues on Savage's part. I also believe that's why we're not seeing any 17 WSM ammo out there. I think Winchester is trying to improve the quality of their ammo. If I had the time I'd take a couple boxes of ammo and weight each round unfired and then after being fired. I'd also chrono each shot. I bet that data would be quite telling and vary greatly by box or production run.

Reeseman
06-23-2014, 05:30 PM
There was a post on rimfirecentral.com a while back that I followed . The gentleman gave a nice report on his ammo testing in a Winchester chambered in 17WSM with 20 and 25 grain ammo . He concluded that the ammo was the limiting factor in accuracy . I am pretty sure there were crono results included .

Of the 150 rounds that I fired thru my new B Mag these past few days I had several with low report that resulted in bad fliers spoiling decent groups .These were 2 different lot numbers .

n4ue
06-25-2014, 01:23 PM
In the latest issue of RifleShooter magazine (July/August), Jon Sundra did a review if the Win 1885 Low Wall in .17 WSM.
He has been a writer/hunter for decades. He was quite disappointed in the accuracy. Despite the Leupold scope and a couple of hundred $ worth of bases and rings, he was getting 1.88" (20 gr) and 2.18" (25 gr) groups.
My skinny bbl BMag shoots like that but my new SS HB model is MUCH better, so far!

For the total $ involved, I'd be REAL unhappy.....

ron

Lonewulf
06-25-2014, 11:49 PM
Hell my original B-Mag is shooting 1 to 1-1/2 inch groups at 100 after only 2 boxes, don't know about my HB B-mag it is at savage getting replaced and if it is like everybody elses it will be months before I see it again.
about ready to sell all my 17 WSM ammo, rifle and such and buy more .223 for my Axis, at least it hits 1/2 at 200 yards. I really like the 17WSM idea but even my patience is wearing thin.

sparky123321
06-26-2014, 07:26 AM
I hear you. I just listed all my ammo on Gunbroker and will probably sell off one of my 2 Bmags(maybe both). I like my skinny barrel better than my SS heavy barrel, so I haven't decided which one will go. I tested both side by side and there's really no accuracy difference between the two. I had high hopes for the .17 WSM, but I guess we'll have to wait until they get the ammo issues resolved and a couple other manufactures start producing rifles chambered in the .17 WSM. I'm just not interested in any rifle that can't shoot <1 MOA off a bench at 100 yards.

bremereric
07-12-2014, 01:34 PM
Still keeping both of mine. Holding out for better ammo. Going to shoot the flimsy barrel one tomorrow that I have in a Boyd's stock and shimmed with neoprene rubber. :(