PDA

View Full Version : Savage 10TR issue.

Thump_rrr
06-22-2014, 04:12 PM
I received a brand new Savage 10TR for Christmas from a buddy I helped out.
I didn't have time to take it out till recently.
It came with an EGW 0moa base which I installed myself.

I mounted my trusty Bushnell ET 6500 4.5-30 x 50mm with Nightforce steel rings and a box of 175 FGMM and went out to sight it in at 100y.

To make a long story short the rifle shoots 30 MOA low.

I replaced the scope with a Vortex Viper PST 6-24 x 50 FFP still the same.
Replaced the scope base with an EGW 20 MOA base still the same.
Put a few Brownells shims under the rear of the base and was finally able to get on paper with the scope dialed nearly all the way up.

I removed the rifle from the stock to ensure it was properly seated.
I re-torqued everything with the same results.

I have several other savage rifles including a 10BA which have scopes set dead center with no issues.

Am I missing something or should I just send it in.?

PS: the rifle once on paper groups .75 MOA or less.

BoilerUP
06-22-2014, 06:19 PM
If you snug down just the front two screws of the base, is there a big gap at the rear between action and scope base?

CAPTBEACH
06-22-2014, 06:52 PM
Is there a noticeable gap between the action tang and the stock? There should be enough to slip a piece of paper under as in free floated...but no more...I suspect the action is seated low untie front of the stock if its hitting 30 inches low at 100...I can imagine no scenario involving a barrel, an action and scope base that is properly seated that is that low at 100... I'd advise disassembly and inspection...reassembling and verifying same condition...

Thump_rrr
06-22-2014, 07:24 PM
If you snug down just the front two screws of the base, is there a big gap at the rear between action and scope base?
No the base sits flat against the receiver.

Unfortunately it has the front bolt release which prevents me from putting it in my 10BA chassis to see what would happen.

foxx
06-22-2014, 07:39 PM
I'd call Savage. What you describe makes no sense to me, either. Bummer, really.

DanSavage
06-22-2014, 07:46 PM
Take a 6 foot level and set it on the one piece base a see if the barrel appears level with the level, with the 20 MOA base it ought to nearly match the contour of the varmint barrel.. It's possible the recoil lug may not be within spec, so when the barrel nut was tightened, the barrel was pulled down under torque. Other than that, send it back to Savage.