PDA

View Full Version : .204 Ruger Build Help

storeyteller
06-22-2014, 09:04 AM
The rifle is put together and shoots lights out. I've been feeding 'em in one at a time which works for target shooting but it's slowing down my prairie dog killin so now I want to feed 'em through the mag. The rifle was a .243 (Stevens 200 staggerfeed) in another life so I'm trying to figure out what I need to get this done. I've got the front baffle, follower and leaf spring but can't find the magazine insert thingy (could be cause I don't know what to call it). Thanks in advance.

Scalian
07-02-2014, 11:39 PM
You need a 223 size magazine box and follower(leaf spring). If the follower you have is the stock one from the 243 it is the wrong size.

storeyteller
08-14-2014, 10:26 PM
I see where the 223 mag box is sold (not in stock anywhere I looked) but I was wondering about the insert behind the follower (i already have the 223 leaf spring/follower). Is the mag box different or does just one have the insert and the other not? I have a 20 Practical I built on a 223 10 action and it looks like the same box sans the insert but I haven't taken them apart and measured yet. I plan to do this over the weekend and attempt to make the insert myself if the numbers add up....thinking possibly and old hacksaw blade with the edge taken off and bent just so might do the trick.

The 204 is a CBI 1:11 26" varmint contour on a Stevens 200 action Boyds Varmint Thumbhole stock Rifle Basix 2 trigger with a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44. It is shooting 1" groups at 300 yards with 39gr SBKs over 26gr of VV N-133 @ 3900 fps. I'm happy with the rifle (lukewarm on the glass but that's another issue) I just wanna feed from the mag.

bootsmcguire
08-15-2014, 12:52 AM
Try an insert if you can make one, but I am betting that the feed lips on the mag body are different enough that it may not work. Some tweaking may be in order. Only way to know is try it and see.