PDA

View Full Version : Bowed action??

Idahojoe
03-29-2010, 12:03 AM
when mounting a Leupold one piece on a 116 I have 30-40 thousands gap at the back with the front screwed down. I shimmed the back to level the rifle out before taking it down for a different barrel and it gave me about 15-20moa and shot well. I didn't want to warp the mount down. I thinking about bedding the back with devcon when I put the long range barrel on. I am new to the Savage. Would this work OK or should I put on different mounts? thanks for the input. Joe

GaCop
03-31-2010, 06:33 AM
You could bed it or use shims.

EFBell
03-31-2010, 08:19 AM
get yourself some signature rings and forget the warp. or bed it

Idahojoe
03-31-2010, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the input, I think go Burris Signature rings. Joe

BillPa
03-31-2010, 11:00 PM
when mounting a Leupold one piece on a 116 I have 30-40 thousands gap at the back with the front screwed down. I shimmed the back to level the rifle out before taking it down for a different barrel and it gave me about 15-20moa and shot well. I didn't want to warp the mount down. I thinking about bedding the back with devcon when I put the long range barrel on. I am new to the Savage. Would this work OK or should I put on different mounts? thanks for the input. Joe

Its not all that unusual, Savage or those "Off brands". ;D

Here's a goody.
http://i44.tinypic.com/14imqfr.jpg

That one was not only humped like a camel, but IIRC the ring measured 1.350", the bridge only 1.340".

After straightening the thing you can see how much bedding was needed to get the mount square and actually fit the receiver. It looks a lot worst than it was. There is a slight chamfer on the edge of the mount, so the bedding filled it in making it look real thick. I bed all my mounts anyway, so its wasn't a big deal, it just needed more goop then usual.

Bill

snipecatcher
04-06-2010, 11:18 AM
I had to use a 20 MOA base on my model 10 just to get close to zero. I probably should have sent it back, but it really wasn't worth the hassle. I'm sure your rifle will shoot fine, just make sure and check the screws after a while to make sure everything is still tight.