PDA

View Full Version : Height over bore...

Pages : 1 [2]

therichardpowell
06-23-2014, 09:50 AM
Thank you. I didn't want that cluttered, trying too hard look. Lol. I was just imagining some of the stocks you see with the splatter pattern. Real simple, just enough to break up the base color. I am really happy with it. My wife thinks I'm crazy, have had the gun sitting on the coffee table so I can admire it while we watch movies. Lol. I really hope to get a set of rings this week and load up the Bergers when they show up and shoot this weekend.

yobuck
06-23-2014, 10:04 AM
I think most would agree that from the standpoint of appearance, the lower rings would be more attractive.
I personaly dont think 1/4" will make much difference as for shooting it but thats simply an opinion.
Some shooters actually prefer higher scope heights for long range shooting. 1000 yd record holder Matt Kline being but one of them.
There are also add on cheekrests that some seem to think compliment the appearance of the gun. Make it more tacticle or mean looking i guess.

scope eye
06-23-2014, 10:59 AM
I also noticed that rail is really high also, that's why I go with the weaver mounts,

Dean

therichardpowell
06-23-2014, 11:51 AM
The base is a weaver 0 MOA base. It does seem tall but, with the low rings it was just about right. I would run it if it wasn't for the cheek weld issue. I can barely touch the stock with my cheek to be able to see through the scope. I thought about a cheek pad and eventually I wanna change the stock but not right this minute. And if I am gonna spend money on a cheek rest, why not just get the low rings, make it look AND feel better. Gonna call SWFA today and see what they say.

therichardpowell
06-23-2014, 07:32 PM
Called SWFA and they will take the rings back. Got the lows on the way and they'll credit me for these. Really nice company to deal with. I ordered a scope and they were back ordered, so they emailed me to let me know. I called them and upgraded to the side focus model and they handled it fast and shipped it that day.

Bravojmc
06-23-2014, 09:48 PM
Paint looks good. Nice job.

therichardpowell
06-23-2014, 09:50 PM
Thanks man.

goodolsavage
06-25-2014, 02:17 PM
How low can you go!

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a542/243Wilson/F-Class113_zps2b83cfa3.jpg (http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/243Wilson/media/F-Class113_zps2b83cfa3.jpg.html)

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/26/subejyga.jpg a penny wont even fit under mine

DanSavage
06-25-2014, 04:44 PM
That's super goodolsavage! One thing I do is make sure you get the scope first, with your base mounted put a piece of cardboard on the barrel or objective bell then you can use calipers to measure from the base to the scope tube,,, Midway gives measurements of the ring's base to the bottom of where the scope tube will be.

I am not against having a high mounted scope at all as long as you don't have to strain you neck to look through the scope. The way I shoot I keep my head up right and use very little cheek pressure,, I'm not the type that tilts his head sideways and tries to rest the weight of his head on the butt stock like a pillow. I've tried that and it jars my eyeballs around too much after 50 rounds LOL.

goodolsavage
06-25-2014, 04:50 PM
Yea I'm not agaisnt having it high either, as long as your comfortable right, i shoot prone a lot so i actually have offset weaver rings to move my scope back since if i dont i strain my neck to go foward.

savgebolt
06-28-2014, 11:45 AM
Richard
may I share some thoughts,,,,i wonder if the height of your picatinny style base isn't complicating your issue,, my savage rifles wear dnz product mounts ,,,check them out online or the talley light weight mounts,,,,,or a lower picatinny style base,,,,,,i also use beartooth product comb raising kit for the best eye to scope alignment,,,,good luck with your project

therichardpowell
06-28-2014, 12:37 PM
There is definitely some height on that base. I got the low rings yesterday and I got them mounted, lapped and the scope installed and everything leveled. It's better for sure but I think I'm gonna get a padded butt cover deal like this...http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/29/umutatuj.jpg I like a good cheek weld. Almost like I'm laying down to take a nap. But it's way better now and shoot able for sure. Someday I will want a 20 MOA rail and I'll buy a lower one if I can but for now this'll be just fine. I'm excited, after playing around last night it looks like I have over 20 mils of up adjustment in my scope and that should let me zero out to 1400 yards... It'll be a while before I get to shooting that far. So I'm not in a rush to buy another rail. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/29/qysuqeqy.jpg

I really like this scope. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/29/5aha5eba.jpg

sav250
06-28-2014, 04:54 PM
I read all and I am thoughtful about all the input here.

I was interested in the thread because of the title: Height over bore.

Height over bore is something I always measure with all of my scoped rifles and even some interchangable iron sighted ones (I've a POF P308 with after market Diamond Head sights that attach and fold down and detach).

The POF has a relatively high rail mount above the bore. It is so high I would NOT even consider it for LONG RANGE shooting under any circumstances. The irons alone are too high and if a scope goes on that is even higher. I solved my own POF problem by mounting a handgun optic on the top rail as low as it could go as far as it could go away from me to the muzzle. I found it and now it's mine all and the POF is not feeling so left out in long range optic shooting. It just has basically a scout scope to help it out.

Lowest mounted scopes almost touch the barrel over the receiver. If the scope/mount allows the scope to touch the barrel I will not mount that. I start fishing around for another mount a little higher. I always start low or too low and pay the price.

sav250
06-28-2014, 05:04 PM
If the rings above the mount are too low, I look for rings that go just a little higher--and NO MORE!

I haven't been wrong after two times. Yes I have rings that are too low to mount to various rifles but if another rifle comes in and I need to start from the lowest...then...I just use the ones lowest that didn't work on an earlier rifle!

kaiser552
06-29-2014, 01:09 AM
You could get a bigger scope. Just kidding. What rifle is that it looks like a 10fp 308 ?

kaiser552
06-29-2014, 01:19 AM
You could get a bigger scope. Just kidding. What rifle is that it looks like a 10fp 308 ?

therichardpowell
07-05-2014, 10:16 AM
Its a Stephens 200 believe it or not. Bought it for $250 with less than 5 rds through it. Did a half ass load dev. And ended up with a 3/4" group, so I decided it was worth putting a good scope and some cerakote on. Now I need to find a load with the 175 Bergers I finally got, and kill a bear from a ways away.

243LPR
07-05-2014, 11:26 AM
That's why I don't use the one piece picatinny rail,makes scope set too high. Change all mine over to 2 piece with the lowest possible rings. If I could do pictures I'd show you. My 2 pennies.

therichardpowell
07-05-2014, 09:06 PM
It's gonna be just fine now.