PDA

View Full Version : Swapping barrels ?

Hammer
06-21-2014, 06:59 PM

Does anyone around here know anything about swapping barrels on a Savage ?

Thinking of putting a 220 Swift on a 112V Series J.

It has been converted to left-hand bolt operation.

LoneWolf
06-22-2014, 01:25 AM
Yes it's incredibly easy to do and a large portion of this community has experience doing so. Some do it on a regular basis or run a switch barrel set up rather than having multiple rifles. What do you want to know about it?

BillPa
06-22-2014, 09:38 AM

Thinking of putting a 220 Swift on a 112V Series J.

It has been converted to left-hand bolt operation.

Not a wise choice.

Most barrels have a right hand twist. Using a right hand twist barrel on a left handed action will twist your converted left handed action back to a right handed action then you would to shoot the rifle upside down or shoot it backwards to use it left handed.

Bill

yobuck
06-22-2014, 09:51 AM
Aww Bill your just sayin that to confuse people and stir things up, right???

BillPa
06-22-2014, 10:29 AM
Aww Bill your just sayin that to confuse people and stir things up, right???

Me??? Never! :p

scope eye
06-22-2014, 11:02 AM
Here are some nuggets for you, use a large adjustable wrench to hold the recoil lug, so that way you only have to buy a barrel nut wrench, that is what I did in the beginning, and there is a 1/2 drive square machined into the barrel nut wrench, use it to put a 1/2 drive ratchet or pry bar, you can never have to much leverage, also when you are unscrewing the barrel for the the first time, "it is on very tight" unless you have a large heavy duty vise use the floor as your work station, I still do when I get a stubborn one. and one more thing no you are not experienced enough to use, fired brass or tape or whatever to set the head space buy or rent a set of gauges.

Dean

BillPa
06-22-2014, 12:14 PM
I take it you guys don't know Hammer!:p

barrel-nut
06-22-2014, 12:34 PM
I don't think Hammer would own a .220 Swift anyway. Good to hear from him though.

earl39
06-22-2014, 03:18 PM
:pop2: And now back to the show folks

BillPa
06-22-2014, 03:42 PM
Good to hear from him though.

Sure is. Hadn't hear'd from him in awhile, thought maybe he tooken up widd those Ruuugggggeeerr guys!

Bill

Hammer
06-23-2014, 11:30 AM

Similar to field stripping a 1911...

Can you swap barrels on a Savage in the dark or blindfolded ?

earl39
06-23-2014, 11:37 AM
thought maybe he tooken up widd those Ruuugggggeeerr guys!
Bill
WILLIAM!!!!! That's quite enough of that kind of talk young man. Now please apologize to Mr Hammer for suggesting he would socialize with such ruffians.

BillPa
06-24-2014, 02:25 AM
WILLIAM!!!!! That's quite enough of that kind of talk young man. Now please apologize to Mr Hammer for suggesting he would socialize with such ruffians.

I appolozze (sp). I could have said Remington, Browinng, or Winbluster but I said Ruuugeer for which I am sorta kinda sooory!

Young man? I'll has youse knoded I'm officially a senior citizen, even get a free license from here on out to kill and catch stuff now, but which brungs up the question, what caliber is bestest to shoot trouts and what rod-reel combo is bestest to catch deers and bears?

Hammer
06-24-2014, 05:54 AM

Elmer Keith liked a 44 with a hard cast bullet and a stiff load of 2400 to take on the ocean fishes with the fins and sharp teeth.

yobuck
06-24-2014, 10:04 AM
So Bill after you got the (free) license, how much did it drain your wallet?
Does it include things like a bear tag also?

BillPa
06-24-2014, 10:44 AM
So Bill after you got the (free) license, how much did it drain your wallet?
Does it include things like a bear tag also?

$51.50, I bought the basic lifer last year. Its the same as the general license but FREE! With the lifetime combo($101.70) you get ML, furtaker and archery. Either way you still have to buy a cow and bar...err... bear tag.

yobuck
06-24-2014, 08:03 PM
$51.50, I bought the basic lifer last year. Its the same as the general license but FREE! With the lifetime combo($101.70) you get ML, furtaker and archery. Either way you still have to buy a cow and bar...err... bear tag.

Seems kinda complicated to me. I like the florida system better.
When you reach 65 you simply stop buying licenses. both hunting and fishing.
If you get stopped, just show your i d.
My PA non res. cost about $140 with the bear tag. Reasonable compared to other states.