PDA

View Full Version : Boyds stock problem?

Shooter970
06-21-2014, 06:07 PM
I received my first boyds the FW thumb hole for my model 16 stagger feed, everything looks good but the front bolt hole is off just a little if I put the rear bolt in and push back on the action I can get it to go in and tighten down but the bolt is at a slight angle and it hits the wood next to the action. My plastic stock has pillars can I use them on this stock? If so how do I install pillars correctly? I'm sure it's been covered many times but my phone is a pain to navigate with? Never done pillars before but I have bedded twice before but not a laminated stock.

foxx
06-23-2014, 10:50 PM
Measure the space between each hole center to center and make sure you have the staggered feed stock. From 1959 to 1987 the short action stagger feed were 4.522" center to center. Later they were 4.275 center to center. Perhaps yours is the older version. In any event, I would drill-out and inlet the stock as necessary so that the screw holes are aligned perfectly. It is not all that difficult to dremel it out and bed a couple pillars in the proper position. If you don't, I fear you will struggle with it forever.

limige
06-24-2014, 01:10 AM
Ive gotten a few from them like that. The recoil lug is too far from the front screw. Easiest option is Dremel it out and bed the action to the stock. Either that or take it to a smith or machine shop and have it knocked back the proper amount.

Shooter970
06-25-2014, 06:49 AM
Thanks Limige that was the problem.