PDA

View Full Version : Predator hunter vs HB Axis

mikgarus
06-21-2014, 12:48 AM
What makes more sense: Model 10 Predator Hunter Max 1 or Heavy barrel Axis plus Boyds Tacticool stock & SAV-1 trigger?
243 WIN. Thanks for your suggestions

Klondike
06-23-2014, 08:03 AM
I would not buy the Predator Hunter Max 1 because of the configuration. I own the 6.5 x 284 and it shoots great but the stock is the weakness. Bottom bolt release hurts you on aftermarket triggers and stocks as well.

Either buy the LRP off Buds ($100 cheaper than Cheaper than dirt) and comes with a HS precision fiberglass stock or go another config and swap the stock.

Predator Hunter is caught in the middle with some good features but savage has better (live and learn).

mikgarus
07-10-2014, 02:26 PM
So the Accustock is no good? I'm not into tinkering much, all I would do is paint that ugly camo stock. I own a Tikka in this caliber that's extremely accurate, but I'm looking for something with a heavier barrel.

Klondike
07-10-2014, 08:48 PM
So the Accustock is no good? I'm not into tinkering much, all I would do is paint that ugly camo stock. I own a Tikka in this caliber that's extremely accurate, but I'm looking for something with a heavier barrel.

This is a good question and I am not sure I have a simple answer. I own 3 savage bolt guns, two with accustocks. My bearhunter 338 win mag with accustock I do not consider the stock an issue and I dont feel the flexible front end is as impactful on POI as on my predator hunter max 1. I think a Macmillan stock, HS precision stock or a Hogue full bed stock are superior to the accustock but cost more money.

All stock questions are tradeoffs. When it comes to the Predator Hunter Max 1 I would buy the LRP 6.5 Creedmore with the HS precision stock over the accustock if I had a do over.

For decision making purposes go handle the accustock. Press the fore end against the barrel, know if the pressure is even slight it will impact your POI and decide. Maybe I have a lemon on my Predator Hunter Max 1 but my Hog Hunter .308 non accustock savage has a better forend and tells me the higher price I paid for the Predator Hunter was not justified by the stock difference.