PDA

View Full Version : Savage Rebarrle a rifle

Frank V
06-20-2014, 11:09 AM
There are a bunch of custom bbls & bbl makers out there. Has anyone had Savage themselves rebarrel a rifle?

FW Conch
06-20-2014, 11:38 AM
Not me, but honestly, I can't see why I would want them to ????? :-))

Frank V
06-26-2014, 09:22 PM
Not me, but honestly, I can't see why I would want them to ????? :-))

Well a 3/8" group from the second load tested is one reason?

Monkeymaster
06-26-2014, 09:43 PM
Well, you can do that if you want, no issue if you do.
But, with cost of having them do it, and the shipping costs, you could easily buy the action wrench, a go and a no go gauge, the nut wrench and a standard caliber barrel from lets say Midway, and still be money ahead. I have 4 different A&B barrels and they all shoot 1/2" at 100 yds with my loads.
They could do better than that, but I will not see it with my hunting style of reloading and shooting.
Then you also have the "tools" to keep barreling if you want.
Good luck, which ever way you choose.

FW Conch
06-26-2014, 09:59 PM
3/8" is a good group, but I put together a 250/3000 Savage using a A&B barrel I got on sale from Midway for $103 that has shot 3/8" groups. All my builds have shot 1/2" or less. That's the reason for the Savage System. So we can do it our selves.

Just Sayin :-))......Jim

Edit...I was posting at the same time as MM

Frank V
06-27-2014, 12:08 PM
Well the cost is reasonable, it was $373 including shipping from Savage to me.
I'm happy every bbl I priced & two gunsmith friends was right at $250 for a blank?

earl39
06-27-2014, 01:03 PM
Well for the same money you could have had an aftermarket barrel that was hand lapped or for about 200 you could have had an aftermarket that was not hand lapped both of which are chambered, threaded and read to go with a better (usually) finish on the bore. Savage barrels are known for being accurate but also known for having a rough bore causing rapid copper build up and long cleaning times.

Dennis
06-27-2014, 06:17 PM
Savage barrels are known for being accurate but also known for having a rough bore causing rapid copper build up and long cleaning times.

I totally agree with the above. My OEM Savage barrels are very accurate, but I will probably use 25 patches during cleaning. Also I have to start with a bore brush.

On the aftermarket barrels, I just use chemicals, no brush, and 5 to 6 patches max to clean them up.

JMO, Dennis

Frank V
06-27-2014, 06:34 PM
I totally agree with the above. My OEM Savage barrels are very accurate, but I will probably use 25 patches during cleaning. Also I have to start with a bore brush.

On the aftermarket barrels, I just use chemicals, no brush, and 5 to 6 patches max to clean them up.

JMO, Dennis

I use "Wipe Out", makes cleaning time waaaaaay down. :cool:
I really like it & it's a great cleaning product.

JCalhoun
07-05-2014, 09:20 AM
Some folks are just not mechanically inclined as we tinkerers are so using Savage is an option there especially if you have a Savage you bought on the cheap or even free. The drawback to letting Savage do it is they will only use their barrels so you are stuck with what they have on the shelf at that time. I don't know what they charge labor & parts wise.