PDA

View Full Version : Savage 110 bolt assembly screw, unscrews itself

johnmdaniels
06-18-2014, 02:27 PM
As the subject title says, the bolt assembly screw on the back of my Savage 110 bolt likes to unscrew itself after a few rounds. The other day it almost came off.

Based on what I've read they're typically very tight, to the point where they're difficult to remove when needed, so I know this is not normal.

Is this a problem that can be solved with a drop of locktight, or is the problem more serious than I think?

_______
I called Savage customer service, and because my rifle was made before 1995, they won't even talk to me. They won't answer questions, give any advice, or help at all.

Bravojmc
06-18-2014, 02:41 PM
They come from the factory tight! I would put a drop of lock tight and snug it up tight.
Shouldn't have a problem after that.

johnmdaniels
06-18-2014, 02:42 PM
btt

If I get similar opinions from a couple other people, I may give that a go.

Nor Cal Mikie
06-18-2014, 02:45 PM
Might be better to clean off any trace of oil that could be on the threads and put a drop of nail polish on it. (you choose the color) Better than Loc Tite if you ever want to remove it again.

243LPR
06-18-2014, 03:19 PM
Is it the screwdriver slotted version or the Allen type? Mine with the slot used to loosen on me until I used a screwdriver bit in a 1/4'" socket and really cranked on it with the bolt in the gun. just be sure the driver fills the slot or it might slip out and scratch something.

johnmdaniels
06-18-2014, 03:51 PM
It's the older flat-blade screwdriver slot kind that goes all the way across the back of the bolt.

theEmp
06-18-2014, 05:30 PM
I would use just a touch of blue or purple locktite and call it good. Dont use red or it will never come apart again.

eddiesindian
06-18-2014, 09:08 PM
I would use just a touch of blue or purple locktite and call it good. Dont use red or it will never come apart again.

+1..........

sharpshooter
06-20-2014, 12:21 AM
Forget the loctite...just give it a wrap of teflon tape.

limige
06-20-2014, 01:36 AM
Ive got a target action with the slotted bolt and had it back out as well. I haven't shot since so im not sure if it will repeat but locktite would be my first try. Again stay away from red and clean the threads on both ends with brake cleaner before applying locktite