PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: Need sctach an old itch for a 99!

Ray Newman
06-15-2014, 05:08 PM
Gents: very glad I found thissite!

Looking to scratch an itchthat I had for 50 + years for a Savage 99. Growing up back in the 1950’s in NewYork, the “In-The-Know” whitetail hunter had a Savage 99 and sometimes sportinga low power Lyman ‘scope. Always wanted one as wee lad. Now that I getting ofage, I am scratching itches for things that awed me back in the day.

Was at the range the other day and I mentioned that I would not be embarrassed to have a Savage 99, .300 Savage, in the vault. Heard the usual comments such as, “classic rifle, but an outdated and obsolete cartridge”, etc. All I can say is that at times, the ignorance of the Great Unwashed Masses is positively stunning!

To help scratch this specific itch, I recently ordered “The Ninety-Nine, A History of the Savage Model 99Rifle”, by D. Murray. Any other good referencebooks or web sites out there?Firm believer inbuying the book(s) then start looking for a rifle to be a better informed buyer.

Thanks for any help. Cheersand all the best to you all.

Mad Dog
06-15-2014, 07:41 PM
Dougs book is the Savage bible right now but he does have a couple unimportant mistakes in it.

A couple more good ones are Savage and Stevens Arms by J Kimmel and Savage and Stevens Arms and History by Bill West.

The 300 Savage will do anything the 308 Winchester will, out dated my arse. Good all around caliber, I've even taken it out for moose up here in Canada.

Usually when I need to reference a 99 I'll go to my catalog collection but it took me years to collect the entire set of Savage catalogs so those 3 books are a great starting point for you. A lot of guys usually start off with a Savage 99 EG in 300 Savage, it's the most easiest model to pick up, kind of like a Winchester 94 in 30-30, thousands of them around. If you really want to wait for a nice feeling 99 I'd hold out and find a model R, but that's just my personal taste.

Ray Newman
06-15-2014, 10:17 PM
Mad Dog: thanks for the reply and will add those two to my small firearms library.