PDA

View Full Version : The McGowan wait.

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Glockin' Bob
07-13-2014, 09:08 PM
I ordered a pre-fit for my 112v, a 22-250 Rem, about a week and a half ago. After many years of paper and pdogs accuracy was falling off and the throat was getting pretty washed out of the original barrel. Ordered a varmint weight stainless pre-fit from McGowen and I was pleased that a couple of days later, it was on the way. It arrived within a week of me placing the order so big grin on my face. Friday night I pulled the old barrel off and popped the new one on. Great, it couldn't have gone any more smoothly! Reassembled the rifle and took it out to sight in this morning. First few rounds printed maybe an inch @ 100 yds. Then it started tightening up. By the time I had 10 rounds through the barrel, it was clover-leafing. Wow, haven't even tweaked the load for this barrel yet, shooting the same stuff I was shooting through the old stock barrel, 34 gr. Varget pushing a 52 gr. Sierra HPBT match.
What I have noticed and am pleased with is that the chamber is tighter than the stock Savage chamber which should improve brass life. It shoots well already, some pdogs may not be as happy as I am. Extraction is smooth, everything looks good!

Kudos to McGowen!

Tokimini
07-14-2014, 09:09 AM
By the time I had 10 rounds through the barrel, it was clover-leafing.
Kudos to McGowen!

It should only get better. I got a McGowen 6BR barrel back in February. The first time out just guessing at what powder and load level to use I was getting sub half inch 5 shot groups at 100 yards. I'm starting to get it dialed in I think. Yesterday I got my first 5 shot group ever in the twos, 5 at .296 at 100 yards, and I'm sure that is gong to shrink. Kudos to McGowen indeed.

parashooter
07-23-2014, 10:18 AM
I ordered a Savage Pre fit semi custom on 1-24-14. McGowen gave me and estimated lead time of 4-6 weeks. Called twice after the 6-wks and was told both times it was scheduled for contouring and should be completed in 2wks. Sent an email on 5-15-14 to check status of my order and the response was "your order is currently scheduled in contouring and should hit gunsmithing and be completed within the next 2 weeks". Sent another email yesterday to check status. Haven't heard anything back yet. Maybe it's taking so long because of the odd ball caliber, 260rem.

Dennis
07-23-2014, 06:15 PM
Mine is going to be a 22-250 heavy sporter with 6 flutes and a custom throat for the 80 grain Berger VLD's.

Any custom barrel is going to take longer like the example above. After the barrel is drilled and rifled, the rest should go smooth.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to send a PM.

Dennis

Lightflight
07-23-2014, 11:17 PM
I ordered a custom barrel through gun shack end of January....Ive had it a month and a half now. They forgot to thread the muzzle but I was refunded the that portion as I didn't want to send it back and not see it for a while.

I was also told that it will take much longer if they don't have a blank.

Doesnt look like Gun shack has the Custom option on their site anymore???

Bunky-Shooter
07-27-2014, 08:44 AM
Its going to be worth the wait !!! My Mcgowen semi-custom 260rem barrel took 6 weeks to be delivered.. Really easy to clean and has really good accuracy.. it has shoot .20 5 shot groupings at 100yrds.. hope you get it soon.....

Dano5001
07-30-2014, 11:41 PM
Today was 12 weeks I have been waiting on a semi custom, hopefully no more than 16 weeks, fingers crossed.

JohnAC
08-05-2014, 06:59 PM
Ordered my barrel on March 1st, got my UPS shipping notice today. I think the barrel I ordered fell somewhere between semi and full custom. Hopefully this info is helpful to others.

blvedere
09-02-2014, 05:05 PM
Been shooting my McGowen 6BR barrel for about 2 months now. It still surprises me how well it shoots.Well worth the wait.

DennisPA
09-02-2014, 08:13 PM
Just started load development today and getting good groups so far sub MoA. But it's shows signs of shooting much better with some more development.

stomp442
09-02-2014, 08:54 PM
I ordered a barrel back on 3/27 was told 12-14 weeks at time of order for a semi custom. 22 weeks later its on its way. I understand business is booming but some up front honesty at the time of order would have been nice. If I wanted to wait 6 months for a barrel I would have shopped elsewhere. The thing that makes Mcgowen the most attractive is their supposed shorter wait times.

Dennis
09-08-2014, 08:16 AM
Just a note to the many that have contacted me and for the record, we have a large backlog due to our manager experiencing a serious complicated illness.

It has our upmost attention and we will get things running smoothly as quick as possible. If you believe your order has been delayed, send me a PM and I will do my best to help you. Try to keep your PM/email as short and simple as you can, you may email me @ info@mcgowenoutlet.com

Dennis

RyanG
09-09-2014, 11:43 AM
Thanks Dennis,

I was going to call the factory again today to get an update..... After reading your post I will just let it go..... I am really in no hurry... just hard waiting for a new barrel.

Again thanks for the update.

Ryan

Dano5001
09-09-2014, 02:38 PM
18 weeks and counting on a semi custom. hopefully not much longer. Past the point of no return now. I would have went a differnt route back in May if I had known it was going to go past the quoted 12-16 weeks. I don't mind waiting just give me an accurate time estimate and I will decide if that works for my situation.

blvedere
09-09-2014, 02:54 PM
Just a note to the many that have contacted me and for the record, we have a large backlog due to our manager experiencing a serious complicated illness.

It has our upmost attention and we will get things running smoothly as quick as possible. If you believe your order has been delayed, send me a PM and I will do my best to help you. Try to keep your PM/email as short and simple as you can, you may email me @ info@mcgowenoutlet.com

Dennis

No disrespect intended, but if the Manager illness slowed production, then, in my opinion, the manager did not have his chain of command in order.

snowgetter1
09-09-2014, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the response to concerns Dennis. I appreciate your customer service and willingness to address issues, good and bad, on this forum. I love my McGowan barrels.

Onewolf
09-17-2014, 07:04 PM
I ordered a full custom in early March and received it in late August. I order 2 more full customs in early September and I assume it will take 5-6 months, but that's ok because those are for the 'next next' and 'next next next' projects. :) I haven't been shooting for long, but I have learned I have to plan WAY ahead. :)

Dano5001
10-08-2014, 07:47 PM
Yesterday was 22 weeks and counting on a semi custom, 6 weeks past the original estimate of 12-16 weeks.

Didn't get a reply to my email two weeks ago. Sent them another email yesterday and got no response. Sent them an email this afternoon to cancel the order, got a response to that one. Looked like an automated response that they will be out of the office till next Monday.

So I guess I will see what happens Monday. Guess I will either have a barrel or a cancelled order.

If you don't have 6+ months to wait, look for other options.

Dano5001
10-15-2014, 10:11 PM
Barrel shipped Monday, 23 weeks on a semi custom.

Dennis
10-16-2014, 05:06 AM
Yesterday was 22 weeks and counting on a semi custom, 6 weeks past the original estimate of 12-16 weeks.

Didn't get a reply to my email two weeks ago. Sent them another email yesterday and got no response. Sent them an email this afternoon to cancel the order, got a response to that one. Looked like an automated response that they will be out of the office till next Monday.

So I guess I will see what happens Monday. Guess I will either have a barrel or a cancelled order.

If you don't have 6+ months to wait, look for other options.

The plant manager suffered a stroke I believe in June. He also required follow-up surgery just a few weeks ago.

Were doing our best to fill all orders with hundreds of emails stacking up.

We will have everything up and running smoothly again and appreciate everyone's patience.

I personally just received 3 barrels yesterday, so hope is around the corner for everyone.