PDA

View Full Version : Savage 111 Hunter XP

tspence
06-13-2014, 08:44 PM
I just purchased a Savage 111 Hunter XP. This model does not have the Accu Trigger. Can anyone tell me if the trigger on this model can be adjusted. Thanks

foxx
06-13-2014, 10:27 PM
Not really. Older models had a straight wire spring trigger you could replace with piano wire. Helped a lot. Newer versions are like a nonadjustable accutrigger that has a coil spring that cannot be adjusted as far as I know. If it has a top bolt release consider Sharp Shooter Supply competition trigger. Adjustable for weight of pull and creap and overtravel. If it has bottom bolt release the Rifle Basic Sav-1 is nice also nice and easier to install on the bottom bolt release models. Both very close to $100.

highorder
06-13-2014, 11:03 PM
The Hunter XP has the Axis trigger. It can be tuned.

jpdown
06-13-2014, 11:35 PM
As noted above, recently produced Savage Hunter XP's uses the cheaper Axis non-Accutrigger. My experience is that these can range from 4 to 6 lbs of pull. You may be able to find some How To Improve Axis trigger information on the internet. There are also some articles on this site, but since you are not a paid member, I don't think you have access to these articles. But, IMO the best bet is to get an aftermarket Timney or Rifle Basic trigger if you want an adjustable trigger pull.

foxx
06-13-2014, 11:50 PM
You can tune a piano but you can't tuna fish.
Likewise,
You can tune a three screw trigger but not an axis.

I consider trigger tuning to include adjusting for creap and overtravel...
Maybe better men than me have done so, but I have not seen it. Of course you can nearly always reduce pull by replacing trigger spring.

highorder
06-14-2014, 09:45 AM
Over travel is adjustable with a 10-24 screw. Creep is tough to remove, but stoning the surfaces and shimming the side play with washers does wonders to the Axis trigger. Or you can just replace the trigger for $100.

tspence
06-14-2014, 12:05 PM
I took the stock off and there is a hole in the front of the trigger housing. Looks like it is there for a screw driver. Further to the rear of the trigger is a screw with blue coloring on it. Maybe a adjustment screw???

foxx
06-14-2014, 12:24 PM
If the trigger has just onescrew in the back end, it is for setting the safety side. It protrudes thru the trigger and sets against the safety slide/bar so that when the slide is back (on "safe") the trigger cannot be pulled b/c that screw hits the slide. Push the slide forward, ("fire"), and it clears the way for the trigger to move because the screw is not being blocked by the slide.

There really is no way to ADJUST the trigger pull for creep or pull weight. You might be able to add another screw in front of the safety screw so as to adjust for over travel. I think it would have to be drilled and tapped, though. You can put in a lighter coil spring or cut a coil off the existing spring to reduce pull weight. You can also hone the sear, but that is actually reworking or altering the trigger.

To summarize what everyone said above, it can be ALTERRED, it cannot be ADJUSTED.

If you do a google search for adjusting Savage 3 screw triggers you will see how older ones are adjustable, and from that you can see how to make yours more like the older ones, but it would not be easy. Judging from your questions I would urge you NOT to try to alter this one, but instead buy and aftermarket trigger as suggested earlier. Once you've done so you might learn enough to attempt altering a different one down the road. It is simply too critical of a safety issue to attempt without the right tools, skill and know-how. Personally, I would not try to hone a sear or trigger, and I have done a lot of trigger work..

tspence
06-14-2014, 01:09 PM
Thanks for all your input. I see what your saying Foxx. The screw is a part of the safety. My 111 is a 30-06 and came with a Hogue stock. Looks almost new. I will go to the range this next week and see how it shoots. Will report on results. Thanks again.