PDA

View Full Version : Finally got my rifle to the gunsmith!

McKinneyMike
03-28-2010, 10:44 AM
Dropped of my donor rifle Saturday to begin new build. Install/head space new 25-06 Shilen 26" Select Match heavy varmint barrel, Center Shot Rifles "Muscle Brake", SSS Competition trigger, SSS tactical bolt handle, glass bed, etc. If it shoots as well as I hope, next step is to get into the queue at SSS to have the action T&T and that cool bolt fluting done. Then have the barreled action Cerakote finished. Going to put it in a Choate UV for now. May decide to get a better stock, but I think the Choate will be fine for the purpose of the rifle. This will be my long distance hog and varmint rifle. If you are in the North Dallas area and need a cheap FFL transfers, he only charges $10.00 :)

Lisa at SSS told me it will be about 2 weeks before the next run of triggers will be ready, so I have to wait a little longer. Weather is getting nice and I am ready to get outside and shooting again. Once I get it all together I will post photos.

pdog06
03-28-2010, 10:49 AM
SOunds like a nice build.

McKinneyMike
03-28-2010, 10:54 AM
SOunds like a nice build.

If it prints well, then it is a good build :) I may have it converted to an AI, if for nothing else to lessen the amount of case trimming. This is a sentimental build as the 25-06 was my first ever rifle. Somewhere along the way I got rid of it and always wished that I had kept it. Young and stupid.

I want to start on a 6.5-284 build next. How I wished that Savage would offer the Target action in a long action. The Bighorn Arms action with the floating bolt head sure looks interesting, but pricey. Anyone have any experience with that action?

kweeks10045
03-28-2010, 11:39 AM
I live over in Arlington, but work up in McKinney quite a bit. Let me know who your smith is. I have some work to get done.

McKinneyMike
03-28-2010, 11:45 AM
Andrew Atwell
Atwell Tactical
atwelltactical@gmail.com
www.atwelltactical.com

He is in Richardson. Really nice guy and from everyone that I have talked to, a damn fine smith too. I told him that I am extremely picky about the muzzle brake install and he showed me some photos of his work. I should be happy from what I saw. He also sells his own suppressors that he designs. He only does transfers in the evenings from 6-9PM M-F though. I will let everyone know how is work is when I get my rifle back.