PDA

View Full Version : Is a J-series .223 bolt interchangeable with a 110E receiver?

NotoriousAPP
06-12-2014, 11:50 PM
I have a Savage 110E in 30-06. I would like to convert it to shoot .223. If I pick up an old J-series Savage 112, can I just run the bolt from this 112 rifle in my 110 receiver? Will the bolt need to be fitted to the 110 by a smith?

(I know I need to change the barrel to .223)

Thanks.

bootsmcguire
06-13-2014, 12:00 AM
All depends. Your 110E should have a screw spacing of 5.062". Now some rifles marked "J Series" are 5.062" and some are 4.52". If it is the 5.062" then you should be ok, but if its the 4.52" then it won't interchange. No fitting should be required as long as it is from the same action length as described above.

If it were me I would just try to pick up an LA 223 bolt head. They are out there, a WTB post here may get you what you need.

sharpshooter
06-13-2014, 12:31 AM
The bolt heads will interchange.

NotoriousAPP
06-13-2014, 12:41 AM
Thanks for the input. I know the bolt heads will interchange however if I plan on swapping back and forth between .223 and 30-06 I'll just have a whole new bolt built up for .223. I've been told that I need to send my receiver in to have a bolt built up for .223, they told me the bolt needed to be fitted to the receiver. I don't understand what needs to be fitted. Will they mill/turn the bolt body down to some dimension? I assumed that a factory Savage bolt body is built to spec +/- some tolerance and that it should just drop in. What are they fitting?

I found an entire Savage 112-J rifle for $300. The bolt I'm looking at is ~$275, seems like for $25 more I should get the barrel, receiver, etc. as well.

Rooster 50
06-13-2014, 09:41 AM
Why wouldn't you just swap the bolt heads. It just takes a few minutes and costs very little?

NotoriousAPP
06-13-2014, 11:24 AM
Why wouldn't you just swap the bolt heads. It just takes a few minutes and costs very little?

My understanding is that I need a baffle as well as the bolt head. I figured I would just get an entire new long action .223 bolt so I didn't have to keep rebuilding my one bolt.

I can't believe that no one has a video or detailed forum posting about making this conversion.

sharpshooter
06-13-2014, 04:16 PM
If you can pick up a whole rifle for $300.00 in .223, why would you want to swap parts around?

bootsmcguire
06-13-2014, 07:46 PM
My understanding is that I need a baffle as well as the bolt head. I figured I would just get an entire new long action .223 bolt so I didn't have to keep rebuilding my one bolt.

I can't believe that no one has a video or detailed forum posting about making this conversion.

All the baffle does is shorten up the stroke. It is not necessary, but most people prefer the shorter stroke of the 223 legged baffle. Normally you can get the baffles for like $5 or so. As to answer your original question of "are they compatible?" the simplest answer I can give is take your 30-06 bolt with you to the store or wherever and compare it to the one in the 112. Holding them side by side, if they are the same length then they will/should interchange.

I am with sharpshooter, if you can buy the entire 112 in 223, then why rebuild the 110E each time to switch calibers?

Also if you are changing the barrel yourself and setting headspace, switching out the bolt heads is easier than doing that so why not just switch the head and baffle and save yourself a ton of coin?

However I totally understand wanting to do a project "your way" just because that's the way you want it. I do it all the time in my home and auto and shop projects so I can respect that. I think all the guys here are just making sure you know there are easier and cheaper ways to get to the goal you are trying to reach.

For switching out bolt heads, might give these a read.

Basic Bolt Tear Down (http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?266-How-To-Remove-A-Stuck-BAS-and-Disassemble-Bolt)

Extractor Install (http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?278-How-to-Extractor-Removal-and-Install)

Ejector Install (http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?279-How-to-Ejector-Install-and-Removal)