PDA

View Full Version : Accuracy ?s

racinready300ex
03-28-2010, 10:16 AM
Ok here's the deal. Locally we have some 100 yard competitions. A couple of guys shoot model 12 LRVP's in .223 and clean house on everyone. Hell this week one of them let a guy shoot his gun that had never shot a center-fire rifle in his life and he won the round.

So I'm trying to decide what I need to do to compete. (my .243 hunting rifle aint cutting it) Now I think the .223 is probably the ideal round for what we are doing. The low recoil and heavy weight of the LRVP allows them to shoot free recoil, which should almost eliminate shooter error.

I don't have a 1000 dollars laying around to drop on a LRVP right now. But, I do have a small shank savage action I'm not using. The gun has to use factory parts to be legal. If the LRVP's were small shank I just get a barrel from one and drop on it.

So my ? is, if you were me. Would you take the action I have and get a .223 varmint barrel and a VLP stock from NSS, or save up for a while and get try to get a LRVP? I like the idea of piecing together a gun (thats the fun part of savages). But, ultimately I just want the gun to shoot well.

I would think most of the accuracy comes from the barrel and the stock. And that either barrel would be a savage factory barrel and probably just as good of quality. Just the LRVP barrel has a larger dia. and should weight more. Would the laminated stock properly bedded work as well as the LRVP stock?

JCalhoun
03-28-2010, 10:39 AM
You do mean one hundred yards, correct?

If that is the case then you should do as you suggested and get the VLP stock and factory varmint barrel.

What modifications can you do to the rifle?

A good set of dies and flat base BR style bullets would something to consider.

rjtfroggy
03-28-2010, 11:59 AM
Go to numrich gun parts they have some good buys on Savage laminate stocks,MAKE SURE YOU MEASURE SCREW SPACING, then call Jim at NSS and get yourself a savage ss barrel a recoil lug and a new barrel nut.
Put it all together and go clean house.
In the picture post I have a 223 with the Shark tooth stock and ss action and barrel all factory parts and so far it is shooting .35-.45 groups and I am just breaking it in.

~Ace~
03-28-2010, 12:52 PM
Or you can have your Action opened up to Large Shank and build a Clone.....

At 100 yards, most any Varmint weight factory barrel with the headspace set a lil tight will Out Shoot most trigger pullers tho....

82boy
03-28-2010, 01:28 PM
I would just use the short action you have, find a 223 barrel, and a VLP stock . A bit of advise Savage did install SSS competition trigger, in many rifles prior to the release of the accu-trigger, so it would count as a factory part. The 223's do well with good brass, like Nosler, and lapua, found that N133 powder and 52 gr bullets are the ticket. Seating depth you will have to play with don't be afraid to jump them .80 thousands, some guns do well way out there.

joesix
03-28-2010, 10:25 PM
I wish I had a .243 to try out. The 6mmBR paper puncher boys really like that caliber.

jo191145
03-29-2010, 04:34 AM
No reason a VLP can't run with an LRPV. Mine will.
Comes down to who does the best load development. Gotta feed a barrel what it likes not what you want to use.
Maybe try to find a Target Accutrigger for your action.
I'm quessing the accutrigger would fit a 200 action. Not entirely sure myself as I've never had a 200 action.

racinready300ex
03-29-2010, 07:59 AM
I wish I had a .243 to try out. The 6mmBR paper puncher boys really like that caliber.

The .243 I'm shooting shoot's pretty well. It's a model 12 sporter barrel. It's been T&T (because the action was bent) and has a SSS trigger in it. I think it's limited by the stock and the barrel, and it could probably stand to be a little heavier for bench shooting. It shoots pretty consistant .625" groups at 100m. Seems like no matter how I load the bullet it shoots the same. My last test load seemed like it would shot closer to .5" but, it didn't preform to well yesterday in the wind though.

My goal when I put that rifle together was a good hunting rifle, and hoped for .5" groups. But, if I want to keep up with these guys I think I need to be shooting sub .5" pretty consistently.

I may try a couple more things on my .243 before I try building another gun. I haven't tried any flat base bullets yet, that my be worth a shot.

racinready300ex
03-29-2010, 08:27 AM
Another option might be to just get a .223 heavy barrel and swap it onto the .243. Then come hunting season just change back to the lighter weight .243 barrel. The .223 would be a little cheaper to shoot through out the year too.

Rooster 50
03-29-2010, 09:59 AM
Keep in mind you will need a 223 bolt head and a different stock.

jo191145
03-29-2010, 10:40 AM
Yep, a well bedded laminate with 3" forend stabilizer will run circles around a plastic huntin stock.
Maybe an accustock would be fine. Don't have one myself but I like the concept.

223 with less recoil will aid in short range agging ability.

Flat based bullets are a big plus IMO. Without getting into the sleeping bullet theory theres the basic advantage (crowns)
Very hard to find any factory barrel with a crown that a BR smith would call good.
Boattail bullets are effected by imperfect crowns more than flat base. Go flat ;)