PDA

View Full Version : 338 Lapua and SST

bc160
06-11-2014, 02:37 PM
Hey all just checking to see if any of you guys have tried the 225 gr SST. I was wondering about giving these a try as a hunting bullet for mule deer and elk. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Blaine

willcombs
06-20-2014, 02:08 PM
I've not experienced it so don't take it as gospel truth, but I expect that'd be PLENTY sufficient. Those SST's are designed in a way that makes them good for both target and hunting applications. And something tells me that if I can take elk with my 308, you can take elk with your 338. Bigger AND faster bullet, and a much bigger wallop too.

.....Curious though, isn't 225 kinda light for 338? Why not go with a heavier bullet? 338LM hardly lacks velocity, and if a higher sectional density could be had then I'd consider it a reasonable change of course. You're the boss but like I said it just perks my curiosity.

bc160
06-28-2014, 02:56 PM
Will,

Thanks for the reply. My rifle sure seems to like 225 gr bullets. I have been shooting accubonds out of this and several other rifles and not getting the results I want when hunting. I have tried a few heavier bullets but haven't had that great of results with them (yet).Still working on some load development and will hopefully find a good combination for the heavier stuff.

Blaine