PDA

View Full Version : Savage 24: 24v-a, 222 casing won't eject after fired

jmharde
03-28-2010, 01:57 AM
Just shot the 222 portion of my inherited 24v-a for the first time. Fired great! But the casing won't come out. Gave it a good cleaning and put the used casing back in, same problem, the rifle doesn't even start to eject it. When I put an unfired round in, the round slides in and out without any problems. I can put the round in, close the action, then open it and the round is pushed out. But the casings that have been fired are stuck in the chamber. Takes some pretty good whacks with my cleaning rod to get them out too. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Mad Dog
03-28-2010, 01:31 PM
Sounds like your chamber is buggered.

Might only need to be polished by a gunsmith but sure seems like your chamber is beyond that.

Is the primer backed out of the shot casing? Could be headspace damage.

tdnichols
03-30-2010, 07:14 PM
I would try polish the chamber...are these factory loaded rounds? Not 'hot' reloads!! Some lapping compound may make a difference.

jeepmann1
04-14-2010, 08:38 AM
If the chamber is messed up it can be re-chambered to 223 so it is not the end of the world. Check to see if it has a rust build up ,if it does a lap can be made from a deprimed case with a long metal screw inserted in the primer pocket. Use valve lapping compound to polish it out.
Good luck!