PDA

View Full Version : Savage 111 DBM options

cowboybart
06-09-2014, 06:09 PM
I was in the fun store today and saw a mdl 111 in 7 mag. While not impressed with the plastic stock, it did have a DBM feature. The other thing I noticed was a smooth barrel nut.
1 - does Boyd's/Stocky's make replacement stocks for this?? I think it was a center feed w/ Accu-trigger.

2 - How does the smooth barrel nut come off??

I compared the length of the mag box to a 7 RM dummy rd and there seemed to be enough space to make it a STW

Another question: do the Axis rifles have the same thread pitch on the barrels as the standard 10/110 rifles??

jpdown
06-09-2014, 07:53 PM
I was in the fun store today and saw a mdl 111 in 7 mag. While not impressed with the plastic stock, it did have a DBM feature. The other thing I noticed was a smooth barrel nut.
1 - Boyd's/Stocky's make replacement stocks for a Savage 111 CF w DBM.

2 - How does the smooth barrel nut come off??

I compared the length of the mag box to a 7 RM dummy rd and there seemed to be enough space to make it a STW

Another question: do the Axis rifles have the same thread pitch on the barrels as the standard 10/110 rifles??

Yes the thread pitch is the same and the barrels are interchangeable.

Boyd's and Stocky have replacement stocks for LA CF DBM

It is best to use a pipe wrench to remove the smooth barrel nut the first time, since they are very hard to remove from the factory. You will need to get a slotted or smooth nut wrench to tighten the new replacement nut. And invest in a set of go, no-go gages to properly headspace the barrel.

Chrazy-Chris
06-09-2014, 10:52 PM
It is best to use a pipe wrench to remove the smooth barrel nut the first time, since they are very hard to remove from the factory. You will need to get a slotted or smooth nut wrench to tighten the new replacement nut.

Good to know. I bought the Dick's Sporting Goods special 11VT and it also has the smooth nut. This question has always been in the back of my head. If I ever switched the barrel I would probably upgrade the barrel nut to a normal one.

cowboybart
06-10-2014, 09:14 AM
The prices seemed cheap to me. He had $300 on the 111 in 7 mag and $250 on the Axis in 243 w/ a cheap Bushy 3-9. Are these good prices or just normal??