PDA

View Full Version : Model 12 FCV 22-250 1/12 twist -Range Report

strafer
06-09-2014, 12:24 AM
First off, let me start by saying I primarily shoot varmints and paper from a rest. Your intended use and experiences may vary. This is just my experience and opinion.....

I have a 10 FCP-K in .223 that is an absolute tack driver. I wanted to hop up my downrange energies and flatten out my trajectories. Oh, and use the same diameter bullet to keep my reloading simple. Sooooo.....22-250 it was.

The FCV is very similar to the FCP-K, but lacks a brake. Comes with an accu-trigger, and accu-stock. One difference I did note on the stocks-the FCP-K has two swivel studs on the forearm, the FCV has only one.

I got my FCV online from Buds. Less than $800 including DROS (at my local dealer) tax, shipping, etc.

Topped her with a Vortex Viper PST second focal plane 4-16 x 44 with Dead Hold Reticle. Used a DNZ one piece medium height mount. Rock solid.

First trip to the range was all factory ammo:
(100 yards, 5-round groups, off a rest and bags):

Federal Power-Shok 55gr PSP Remington Express Rifle 55gr PSP Federal Premium Vital-Shok 55gr Nosler ballistic tips

Best grouping with the factory stuff was the premium Nosler tipped rounds at about 0.75". So, IMO, right out of the box, heck yeah it's accurate. I expected once I reloaded for her she would tighten up even further.

Without the muzzle brake, it kicked a little more than the FCP-K, but totally manageable and I could still see the impact on the target. A pleasure to shoot.

I adjusted the trigger (very easy to do, just follow instructions) down to 28oz. Breaks like glass, no creep. I really like the accutrigger.

For the second range trip, I identified my OAL to the lands for the specific bullets I'd be using. I then used the factory brass from trip one to reload some batches of 40 gr and 55 gr. FL resize, trim cases to 1.902.

I chose the load combos below, again at 100 yards fired from a rest and bags:

Batch 1). 40 gr Sierra Blitzking, 39 gr H380, CCI 250 primer

Batch 2). 55 gr Nosler Varmageddon FBHP, 37 gr H380, CCI 250 primer

Batch 3). 40 gr Hornady V-Max, CCI primer, H380 powder (I forget the charge I used).

I loaded each batch into three groups of 6. Each group with an off the lands OAL (to ogive using a comparator). of -.001, -.005, and -.009. I hold powder constant and tweak OAL in .001 or .002 increments after I find a good starting point. Yeah, yeah, this method is for VLD bullets as described by the good folks at Berger, but I have found it works to quickly identify good starting points with any bullets. Your technique and results may differ.

The clearcut winner for me was in Batch 2. At -.005, the Blitzkings produced a six shot group of 0.344. Chrono'd speed averaged 4021 fps. Now, this is higher than expected, but I experienced zero pressure signs--primer, bolt, or case.

All three batches produced six shot groups of 0.6" or less. Now I will tweak those for further testing.

I am convinced Savage is the way to go. I love both mine. Ground squirrels beware....

Happy shooting and safe reloading....

mrbigsteel
06-09-2014, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the review. I am also looking at the FCV. How is the Accustock flex at the forearm? Any contact with the barrel if you use a bipod?

strafer
06-09-2014, 04:14 PM
Howdy. I have not shot much with a bipod. However, resting on bags or on a Hornady Delta Rest has not compromised the float of the barrel IMO.