PDA

View Full Version : New rifle on the way; did I choose wisely?

SniperGoat
06-08-2014, 10:27 PM
I've ordered a new Savage 10FP with a fluted and threaded heavy barrel with 5R rifling ( http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_62_974/products_id/411540368/Savage+HS+308+24+5R-THREADED+BARREL ). I've always understood that fluted barrels are a plus, but now I'm worried because I just heard that they are not as rigid. This particularly worries me because the whole reason for me going with such a rifle instead of a "hunting" style is for the thicker barrel being better for target shooting. The rifle does get good reviews; so am I over thinking this?

drybean
06-08-2014, 11:14 PM
No problems, sleep comfily tonight

SniperGoat
06-08-2014, 11:40 PM
Thanks. For the record I wasn't specifically looking for a fluted barrel. I was more interested in a heavy profile and 5R rifling.

J.Baker
06-09-2014, 12:29 AM
Little late to worry about whether you made the right decision isn't it? LOL

Long answer: As far as fluting is concerned, you might give up a minute amount of rigidity, but the factory flutes are so shallow that you'd never even notice. You do gain surface area though which will increase the barrels ability to cool faster - though again, the difference is so minimal that it's hardly worth mentioning.

Short answer: Stop over thinking it and just enjoy it.

Joe L
06-09-2014, 09:11 PM
I've got an FPC-K that I think has the same barrel if it is a .308 and it is excellent. I've shot 30 rounds in one (short) sitting at 547 yards without the barrel heat moving the point of impact at all.

Joe

Chrazy-Chris
06-09-2014, 10:46 PM
Nice rifle! Enjoy! Do you care to explain the 5R rifling and why it was important to you?

06-11-2014, 08:12 PM
I hope you're not in a hurry to get your rifle. Bud's kept my money for almost a month before they got around to getting my rifle off their shelf and shipping it out...

Best of luck when you get it in July!

SniperGoat
06-11-2014, 11:58 PM
Nice rifle! Enjoy! Do you care to explain the 5R rifling and why it was important to you?

The 5R rifling doesn't foul as quickly so the shot groups stay consistent longer. Also there is slightly less "squeeze" on the bullets...causing less deformity, and resulting in slightly faster velocity. Easier to clean too.

SniperGoat
06-12-2014, 12:00 AM
I hope you're not in a hurry to get your rifle. Bud's kept my money for almost a month before they got around to getting my rifle off their shelf and shipping it out...

Best of luck when you get it in July!

Just got an email that its in the shipping department ready to go. Hopefully I will see it early next week.