PDA

View Full Version : Savage basic trigger question

Ramstud41
06-08-2014, 12:16 AM
I took the action of my rifle off the stock tonight and noticed it has just a basic trigger (one screw and a spring). I tried to adjust it the best that I could, but it seems very limited. I started thinking about tinkering around with it, such as finding a new spring and maybe creating my own sear adjustment screw, etc. My question would be is it worth it. I mean, I could do stuff cheap and I would enjoy the tinkering, but in the end will I be able to get a light, crisp trigger out of it? I'm sure someone here has already tried it and was hoping for input before possibly wasting a bunch of time

LoneWolf
06-08-2014, 02:46 AM
I'm not saying you can't do it because I don't know your skill set or background. When it comes to playing with triggers changing a spring is one thing. Just remember a trigger is the largest part of a safe rifle. A trigger done incorrectly can even cause a rifle to fire while the safety is engaged. I personally prefer to pick up an aftermarket trigger and follow the instructions to set it the way I want it. I ussualy lighten it all the down until it fails then work up until I can mess with it with no failures no matter how bad I slam the rifle around or how hard I squeeze the trigger with the safety engaged. I like a light 1-1.5lbs trigger with no slop and very little overtravel. Just a nice clean break and that's it. I was able to accomplish this on my Axis with a Rifle Basix SAV-1 and I'm going to install a SSS Competition trigger on my my 110 Build. It's safe and they were designed by Gunsmiths.

If you want to tinker with it that is fine, that is what we all love about our Savages. Whatever you choose make sure it is 100% safe for you and anyone who may be around you when using the firearm.

J.Baker
06-08-2014, 04:56 AM
It's become common practice to replace the factory wire spring with piano wire (can't recall the size #), and if you look around there was a person on here giving them away that may still have some. As for drilling and installing additional adjustment screws, you're really not going to gain a whole lot in doing so. I understand liking to tinker, but some times it's best just to go with what's already out there and proven to be reliable and safe. If you want to stay on the cheap you can swap in an AccuTrigger someone has pulled from their rifle, or for $100 you could try one of several different aftermarket triggers.

Ramstud41
06-08-2014, 09:52 AM
I understand the safety concerns you guys have, and I appreciate you sharing them. I don't really want anything unsafe, just a better, lighter trigger. I will probably buy an after market trigger when funds become available, and then I can tinker with the other trigger and not have to rely on it being my main one. With that said, what trigger is the easiest to adjust? I'd be trying to keep cost around $100 or less

LoneWolf
06-08-2014, 10:53 AM
I was able to install and set the Rifle Basix SAV-1 with my then 2 Month old son in my lap. Good directions and easy adjustments for fine tuning.

MathMan
06-08-2014, 05:15 PM
The piano wire is size .40.

foxx
06-08-2014, 05:49 PM
I have done the piano wire thing fairly successfully. I have done a few Rifle Basix Sav-1's and a few SSS Competitions. The RB Sav-1 is a little bit easier to do than SSS Comp, but I really like the SSS Comp much better. They are both very close to $100.

I can send you a piano wire spring if you like. It does make a big difference, but some day you will want the no creep, no over travel SSSCompetition trigger. It is adjustable down to 1.5pounds. Very crisp.

Ramstud41
06-19-2014, 07:24 PM
Sorry for the super late reply. Things have been crazy with work the past couple weeks. From my understanding, my trigger can't use the piano wire upgrade because it has a coil spring and not the wire. I think I'm going to try and hold out and save up to get the Sav-2. I know it's more expensive, but it gives me the option to work on long range shooting/competition down the road. I'm the type that would rather spend and hurt once, then to have to buy something again later, if that makes any sense. I appreciate all the help you guys have offered. I'm learning that not only do I love my gun, but I like the brotherhood that goes with a Savage

Thump_rrr
06-22-2014, 03:31 PM
I have done the piano wire thing fairly successfully. I have done a few Rifle Basix Sav-1's and a few SSS Competitions. The RB Sav-1 is a little bit easier to do than SSS Comp, but I really like the SSS Comp much better. They are both very close to $100.

I can send you a piano wire spring if you like. It does make a big difference, but some day you will want the no creep, no over travel SSSCompetition trigger. It is adjustable down to 1.5pounds. Very crisp.
Would you happen to know if the SSS Competition trigger will fit the 10BA?

foxx
06-22-2014, 07:20 PM
I am quite certain it will. It will work with any 10/110-based Savage with top bolt release. It will also work with the bottom bolt release, but the release must be retrofitted similar to the top bolt release.