PDA

View Full Version : 458 lott

Bear
06-06-2014, 10:15 PM
I have built a few rifles on the Savage actions and know of many more done by others. There have been mentions of why not try a 458 Lott but I have found no posting of any one who has tride this. While the Savage action is not ideal for an African Dg rifle, I became intrested in the idea of building one. So all the parts are on the way and it should be a fun project.

bootsmcguire
06-07-2014, 12:40 AM
Keep us posted of your progress.

yorketransport
06-07-2014, 01:01 AM
I think that the only problem you'll have will be the over all length. I have an Arnold Arms 458 Arnold (a full length 416 Rem Mag necked up to 458) that's built on a Rem Ultra mag action. I have to trim the brass down bellow 458 Lott length in order to get loaded rounds to fit in the magazine when 500gr bullets are crimped in the cannelure.

I'm curious to see how it works out for you. The 458 Lott is an impressive caliber to say the least. It's so much more than just a short range hammer too. Load up the 400gr TSX bullets and it's a legit 300 yard elk killing machine!

Andrew

thomae
06-07-2014, 08:36 AM
I believe the reason is that the 458 Lott takes an action length longer than a standard long action. My recollection is that 458 magnum was designed to be able to fit into a 30-06 sized action, and the Lott is basically the same thing, but longer.

That is my recollection from some reading I did on the subject several years ago, and if I am mistaken, I am sure someone on the forum will correct me.

Carvera
06-07-2014, 12:59 PM
Look at the Savage 116 Safari Express (SE) model.

I would think that an ideal Savage action would be a large shank, CRF bolt setup, with an action opened up to accept the larger magazine box and follower like those found on the RUM's and STW Savage rifles.

What parts have you got ordered to complete your build?

Bear
06-08-2014, 04:32 PM
I have opened up a large section of the front of the CF magazine and it is feeding into the current chamber as far as can be for now. It holds 2 in the mag due to the size of the bullets the front ends will not drop quite far enough for the bolt to pass over the top of them. Parts for the build include a Boyds clasic stock, ptg recoil lug, ER shaw 23"SS barrel, Leupold basses and rings, Leupold 1-4x20 hog scope and a SS trigger guard. I have about $650 into it so not too bad and if it doesn't work out I'll start a new project with the action.

yorketransport
06-08-2014, 05:02 PM
It sounds like you're on the right path. If it doesn't work as a rifle, just cut the barrel down to 17" and use it on a Striker!

Andrew

Bear
07-02-2014, 10:22 PM
I installed a 16oz mercury recoil reducer in the stock today. I am not sure how much this will help but more weight cant hurt.

sav250
07-05-2014, 09:41 AM
The Lott case is like a .22LR v .22 Short. You can shoot .458 Win Mag in .458 Lott without any problems. Either shoots fine in my Ruger N1 Tropical. Just clean the barrel and chamber after you shoot a few boxes of .458 Win before you start shooting .458 Lott. Or, start out with .458 Lott and switch to .458 Win with only one cleaning at the end of the day.

sav250
07-05-2014, 09:49 AM
I installed a 16oz mercury recoil reducer in the stock today. I am not sure how much this will help but more weight cant hurt.

Compared to the Win 70, Rem 700, Ruger 77 Safari, and CZ 550 Safari I find the Tropical No 1 the most manageable in recoil. I believe it has to do with the symmetric design of the Single Shot compared to a Bolt with a handle sticking out on one side. The recoil is a very hard slam but if you are standing up and holding it off hand it is not bad.

Bear
09-08-2014, 08:53 PM
I tested the lott out today. What a blast!!! The recoil was not punishing but 6 rounds was enough for me and we had 3 other guns to work with. The gun fed perfectly was good for accuracy, we shot standing since shooting from the bench is not plesant. I forgot my shooting sticks and it was very windy making it hard to shoot but it shot minuet of buff at 50 yards no problem. When I can I will get some picks.

sixonetonoffun
09-08-2014, 11:50 PM
How ya like the hog reticle? I was curious but found a vxiii 2.5-8x36 at my price and have been happy with it so far. I've got hooked on big bore rifles. So far the only Lotts I came across were north of $3300 so I'd say you're doing fantastic.

Bear
09-10-2014, 08:23 PM
It seamed a bit busy at first but I am getting used to it now. The heavy side and bottom posts are good for low light conditions as well as the circal around the crosshairs. I still am not a big fan of having pig plex etched into the horizontal posts but that is not a huge deal to me.

defoxer
09-13-2014, 07:35 PM
I tested the lott out today. What a blast!!! The recoil was not punishing but 6 rounds was enough for me and we had 3 other guns to work with. The gun fed perfectly was good for accuracy, we shot standing since shooting from the bench is not plesant. I forgot my shooting sticks and it was very windy making it hard to shoot but it shot minuet of buff at 50 yards no problem. When I can I will get some picks.

Good to hear its working out, I've come in a bit late but I would have suggested the only problem might be getting it to feed smoothly..... as far as fitting; the Lott is 91.44mm overall being identical (per design) as the 375H&H 'format'. So starting point would most easily have been a 375 and use the mag, follower, bolt head etc... I personally planned on a screwing a Lott barrel onto my 116 (375H&H) but ultimately, more so for nostalgia bought a CZ safari, nice wood, nice blue and CRF...but its not a sav, yes, I know.....

defoxer
09-13-2014, 07:38 PM
Look at the Savage 116 Safari Express (SE) model.

I would think that an ideal Savage action would be a large shank, CRF bolt setup, with an action opened up to accept the larger magazine box and follower like those found on the RUM's and STW Savage rifles.

What parts have you got ordered to complete your build?

You dont need the large shank, it is the same case size/diameter as most other mags...and the action is already plenty open, as Ive said^ either start with a 375 or pick up the mag box and follower as parts.

Blitzfike
09-13-2014, 10:08 PM
The last build I did was 458 win mag on one of the old 111 actions that had the scope base cast into the receiver. It is brutal enough with its smaller powder capacity. I intend to install a brake on this one as soon as I get the material I want to machine it out of. Great project, I hope you get plenty of minute of buff opportunities.