PDA

View Full Version : Need a bit of help choosing a good scope for a 111 in .30-06

timmeh
06-06-2014, 07:26 AM
So I have a Savage 111 in .30-06 and it is the one without the accutrigger and has a 4 shot detachable magazine. Anyways the scope it came with is a bushnell 3-9x40mm which is pretty okay for my young eyes that have no trouble seeing even though the eye relief isn't perfect so its a bit like looking through a narrow tube. My dad though uses it as well and I was hoping to fix two things with the next scope we decide to purchase with my birthday money coming on 6/8 which is to get more magnification for my dad so he can have an easier time seeing the target and to also get one with adjustable eye relief so that you can rest your head comfortably rather than craning your neck forward in a very uncomfortable position to get a decent view through it.

TL:DR
Need a new scope for savage 111 in .30-06 without the accutrigger since the one it came with is kinda lame. Dad and I use it. dad needs more magnification to get a decent view of the target with his aging eyes and i would like to have adjustable eye relief since the one we have now is uncomfortable to see through properly.

$200 would be ideal if you could, but i suppose if you cant find a decent one at that price you can push up to $300. If you happen know a good way of sighting in a scope that doesnt involve a laser and isnt a fortune it would be nice to have one of those too. Your help/opinion(s) is appreciated.

Currently though if you're wondering we've only just put about about 70ish through it and half that was spent trying to zero in the scope at 100yds and then later on we found a range that had a 50yrd range and got on paper there then we haven't gotten any farther than that yet. When we first shot it though i put the first shots through and the first shot at 100yrds came close to being perfect and then the scope wiggled out of place just slightly and we were never on paper again until we found that range with the 50yrd lanes.

scope eye
06-06-2014, 07:43 AM
Here you go

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vortex.pl?page=vortexviper3-9x40

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vortex.pl?page=vortexviperhs2-10x44

Dean

keeki
06-06-2014, 09:01 AM
Here's some more. Redfield revolution 3-9x40, Nikon prostaff 4-12x40, Bushnell elite 3200 4-12x40 and 5-15x40, Bushnell legend ultra hd 4.5-14x40. All under $300 some under $200

olddav
06-06-2014, 09:14 AM
As far as siting in the scope, try this. Remove the bolt, secure the rifle (sand bags, lead sled etc..) look through the bore (50 yard target) and adjust the scope to point where the barrel is pointing. Take a shot at 50 yards and adjust as needed, move to the 100 yard range and make final adjustments.

COplains
06-06-2014, 01:09 PM
..........also get one with adjustable eye relief so that you can rest your head comfortably rather than craning your neck forward in a very uncomfortable position to get a decent view through it.

I know of no scope that offers an adjustable eye relief as it is dependent on the build of the internal glass layout...wish I did. Scopes come with fixed exit pupil and eye relief, you have to find one that will do the job... a 4" eye relief is the max I have found. Diopter you can adjust usually to fit your eye strength. That's one reason why mounting a scope properly is critical, so you don't break your neck trying to see through it. kb

timmeh
06-06-2014, 02:32 PM
I know of no scope that offers an adjustable eye relief as it is dependent on the build of the internal glass layout...wish I did. Scopes come with fixed exit pupil and eye relief, you have to find one that will do the job... a 4" eye relief is the max I have found. Diopter you can adjust usually to fit your eye strength. That's one reason why mounting a scope properly is critical, so you don't break your neck trying to see through it. kb

well I figured I may as well ask and see if someone knew something that I didnt know. I guess I'll just have to look around for one that has at least 3" of eye relief since the one we have now is rather close to bumping your eye when you take a shot when you get up to the point that you can see through it. All the suggestions though so far are nice and helpful. I've got a subscription to amazon prime and a lot of these optics come up at good prices with the prime perks and such. I'll keep looking a bit before i make a final choice though.

tufrthnails
06-06-2014, 03:31 PM
If I was you I would swap the mounts out as well. I use the DNZ Game reaper one peice for my 111 .270. The two piece that came on mine with the nikon were garbage.

timmeh
06-06-2014, 10:37 PM
If I was you I would swap the mounts out as well. I use the DNZ Game reaper one peice for my 111 .270. The two piece that came on mine with the nikon were garbage.

http://www.amazon.com/Game-Reaper-Savage-All-Receiver-Long-Action-High/dp/B001EYH3CY/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I found this one and I think it should fit but im not entirely sure. I was thinking of putting this in it

http://www.amazon.com/BSA-8-32X44-Platinum-Adjustable-Objective/dp/B000B64ZCM/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

If anyone has a second opinion or knows something about them that may be helpful it would be appreciated.

keeki
06-07-2014, 01:26 AM
Dont think I would trust the bsa with the recoil of the 30-06. Jmho

earl39
06-07-2014, 06:05 AM
If you do not have one on the rifle now you might also want to think about changing the scope base to a piccatinny rail to give you more range in where the scope is positioned for eye relief.

emtrescue6
06-07-2014, 11:21 AM
I would also suggest you look at Swift Premier scopes....they are great value for the $$...lifetime warranty and quality glass, an I love their eye relief. I have several of their scopes, including a 3-9x40 that's been on a 270 Win for over 20 years now error free and it gets hunted with every year. I also have a 3-9x40 on a 7mm Mag that's also been on the rifle for many years as well. I have a 6-18x50AO and 6-24x50AO both on long range 308's that I love....

triglet40
06-07-2014, 10:16 PM
That's a dang good price on the vortex that was posted. Good scope it's what I have on my 30-06.

scope eye
06-07-2014, 10:40 PM
That's a dang good price on the vortex that was posted. Good scope it's what I have on my 30-06.

That is what I have been trying to convey to all forum members.

Dean

mazda3gun
06-09-2014, 09:10 AM
I have astigmatism, in both eyes, so finding a good scope for the money spent to perform at what/when you need it for are important. I have a 110 in .30-06, put on a Weaver one-piece base, Burris Sig Zee high rings, and a new Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40. The whole set-up was under $300.
This scope particular has an adj. obj. so the eye relief has a good range along with focus.

Shoot, with my astigmatisms and glasses, I still have trouble focusing on the reticle though. It's tough even on my BB gun irons when I'm shootin barn birds! I'm way too young to have vision problems this bad! lol!

emtrescue6
06-09-2014, 11:54 AM
Natcheze just sent out a flier with a huge sale on Millet and Bushnell Elite scopes...several of them are over 50% off....both are good quality scopes...especially the Bushnell Elite (which is made by Bauch and Lomb)

452b300
06-12-2014, 11:47 PM
A good scope needs good mounts, these are the ones I really like on Savage rifles. They are able to add up to 20 MOA to the rings. And the bases have good steel screws. They are also available in 30 mm

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/665735/burris-2-piece-xtreme-tactical-scope-base-picatinny-style-savage-10-through-16-110-through-116-round-rear-axis-reversible-front?cm_vc=ProductFinding

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1548661544/burris-1-signature-zee-weaver-style-rings?cm_vc=ProductFinding