PDA

View Full Version : Questions about staggered fed mag

7stw
03-27-2010, 09:16 PM
I have a model 10 fp in .233 with stagger feed mag. My ? is can the end plate that the base of the bullet case rest against be removed, or would I be better off using a .308 mag housing? My reasoning is that I think that my c.o.a.l. is going to be too long when loaded with my intended bullets. (BERGER VLD's) And if that is the case, will the 308 follower work with the .223? If all else fails, I will just single feed. By the way, I adjusted the the pre-accutrigger using the illustration in FAQ section and it came out VERY good. It will suit me for now , but will be adding a sharpshooter trigger, or a timney at some point. I am very impressed with how well this rifle is built, and the "fit and finish" on this particular "tactical" model. Bolt is very smooth in closing, but a little stiff when opened, but good ol' Fred will be getting a call from me soon. Thanks in advance on any responce or thoughts! AIM SMALL. MISS SMALL, 7STW

dfrosch
03-27-2010, 11:27 PM
Seems like you could Dremel out the plate. Don't know how the follower would act with so much slop. Might move around during recoil. Try it and let us know. The parts are fairly cheap.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=472997

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=427817

Good luck,

Dana

82boy
03-28-2010, 12:27 AM
It depends on how old your gun is, Savage did revamp the 223 magazine box when the 204 Ruger came out and they made it slightly longer.

The problem with using the 308 mag box on a 223 is, you have to bend the lips to make it work, and it takes a lot of tinkering. The problems are the rounds will either nose dive in the magazine, or just pop out. The other thing is with the 223 front baffle the bolt will not travel far enough back to pick up the rounds, so you will have to change that as well.

7stw
03-28-2010, 05:23 AM
It depends on how old your gun is, Savage did revamp the 223 magazine box when the 204 Ruger came out and they made it slightly longer.

The problem with using the 308 mag box on a 223 is, you have to bend the lips to make it work, and it takes a lot of tinkering. The problems are the rounds will either nose dive in the magazine, or just pop out. The other thing is with the 223 front baffle the bolt will not travel far enough back to pick up the rounds, so you will have to change that as well.
82boy, Thanks for the shout back. I don't now exactly how old it is. I beleive that it was one of the ones made just before the accutrigger came out. The serial number is F874943. It has the word "tactic" on the side of the bolt, and a black parkerized finish, and the "tupperware" stock, that really isn't as bad as some of the "plain jane" synthetics are. I understand what you are saying however. Worst case scenario, I will just single feed the rounds if neccesary. I am going to make this rifle a "switch barrel". how do you remove the box from the receiver?I will be getting a .308 mag at some point. Thanks in advance.

82boy
03-28-2010, 12:23 PM
how do you remove the box from the receiver?[/quote]

Well there is many different ways to skin that cat, some people use a c-clamp, some use pliers, and other tools. The way I found works best for me is with the barrel and recoil lug on, I lay something that will take up space between the mag box and the recoil lug. I use a small ball peen hammer and I lay it between the recoil lug and the mag box. I then take a big screw driver, and pry on the bottom lip of the mag box, using the hammer as a fulcrum. They just pop out, and I can say I have ever bent one, using this way.