PDA

View Full Version : 270 rum

Pages : [1] 2

yorketransport
06-04-2014, 10:33 PM
Have any of you played with the 270 RUM?

I just bought a Borden switch barrel rifle with 338 Edge, 7mm RUM, and 270 RUM barrels. The 270 is the barrel that I'm most interested in. It should make a great match to the 6.5 Badger.

scope eye
06-05-2014, 06:09 AM
I have one in the works, Apache is just doing the finishing touches on it, it's a 30" 11 twist it is part of my RUM family, it is in my pic of them in the 6.5mm post, I use a 7mm RUM FL die and a 270 WSM for the neck and shoulder, I load 110 Vmax's with 100gr of RL22 and sierra makes a nice 140 HPBT that I loaded with 100gr of RL25, I used the same load data as my 7mm RUM since they are close in bore dia.

Dean

FW Conch
06-05-2014, 08:03 AM
"Use the same load data"! Gee "scope"! Talk about "doing it because you can"! :))

Ya think the "paper" will be able to tell the difference?? :))

yobuck
06-05-2014, 08:18 AM
Assuming its on one of his actions also?

scope eye
06-05-2014, 08:28 AM
"Use the same load data"! Gee "scope"! Talk about "doing it because you can"! :))

Ya think the "paper" will be able to tell the difference?? :))

The reason I felt comfortable loading like that is they are in the same "cartridge family" the 7mm being .284 and the 270 being .277, and my 7mm loads are far from max so I feel confident that it will be fine, mental note address 7mm being far from max,
and as far as shooting paper I hardly ever do I am always shooting at something more reactive IE: truck axles, semi rims, tanarite, and my personal favorite stuff with fur, when I do sight in I have some old XRAY shelving that are powder coated, I have more than I will ever use and there is always more due to hospitals have gone digital, they are gleaming white and you can really see the bullet holes even at 600 yards even 22 cal shots, here for your viewing pleasure.

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b536/jazzygirl44/unnamed696_zpsec7b5a93.jpg (http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/jazzygirl44/media/unnamed696_zpsec7b5a93.jpg.html)

left to right 338 EDGE, 300, 284, 270, 264, 257.

scope eye
06-05-2014, 08:30 AM

I'm sorry I am not quite sure what you mean by that, they are 110 and 112 actions if that is what you were referring to.

Dean

FW Conch
06-05-2014, 11:17 AM
As for what I meant, to me there is so little difference in size between .277 and .284 that old "practical" me would never go there. But I think I can speak for many of us in the "Brotherhood" when I say we are glad you do what you do, and thank you for all the great information you send our way!

Thanks Dean! You Go Boy! :))......Jim

scope eye
06-05-2014, 12:03 PM
As for what I meant, to me there is so little difference in size between .277 and .284 that old "practical" me would never go there. But I think I can speak for many of us in the "Brotherhood" when I say we are glad you do what you do, and thank you for all the great information you send our way!

Thanks Dean! You Go Boy! :))......Jim

You Are Welcome

Initially I was not going to go that route, like you said they are so close in Diameter, but I have always had a soft spot for the 270, I have a Win and a Weatherby in that caliber, and I am the first to admit that I am weak soul and easily distracted by shinny things.

Dean

FW Conch
06-05-2014, 02:06 PM
"Bling" ;-))

yobuck
06-05-2014, 03:44 PM
I'm sorry I am not quite sure what you mean by that, they are 110 and 112 actions if that is what you were referring to.

Dean

I should have clarified my question which was actually for Yorketransport.
Im assuming the gun he bought was on one of his, meaning Bordens actions.

FW Conch
06-05-2014, 07:15 PM
yorketransport, how is your switch barrel system set up?

Thanks.......Jim :))

scooterf79
06-05-2014, 09:44 PM
Dean...im pretty new to building aspect of guns..I know about it just havent done it (waiting on my 1st barrel). Am I correct is assuming you had to get RUM actions...with that bolt face diameter? Seems I dont ever see them around here, mostly standard calibers. ....lots of powder behind a little bullet....I like it :)
Scooter

bootsmcguire
06-06-2014, 12:06 AM
Dean...im pretty new to building aspect of guns..I know about it just havent done it (waiting on my 1st barrel). Am I correct is assuming you had to get RUM actions...with that bolt face diameter? Seems I dont ever see them around here, mostly standard calibers. ....lots of powder behind a little bullet....I like it :)
Scooter

You only need the RUM action if you want a repeater. If you run it as a single shot you can use a regular 7mm or 300 Magnum action. You can also use a 30-06 action and just change the bolt head over to the magnum. Only difference between 30-06 and the magnum action is the magazine and bolt head.

geargrinder
06-06-2014, 12:34 AM
Scooter

A regular centerfeed action is better suited as a repeater than the RUM action. Just add the Accurate Mag bottom metal and be done.

Bolt face is a regular magnum.

Kirby did the 270 Allen Mag, which is an improved version based on 7mmRUM brass. It was an absolute big game death ray with Wildcat 180g RBBT bullets.

I also believe on of his first 270 Allen Mags were built on a Savage 110 action.

yorketransport
06-06-2014, 01:18 AM
I have one in the works, Apache is just doing the finishing touches on it, it's a 30" 11 twist it is part of my RUM family, it is in my pic of them in the 6.5mm post, I use a 7mm RUM FL die and a 270 WSM for the neck and shoulder, I load 110 Vmax's with 100gr of RL22 and sierra makes a nice 140 HPBT that I loaded with 100gr of RL25, I used the same load data as my 7mm RUM since they are close in bore dia.

Dean

I thought that you may have one!

Yup! It's on a right bolt, left port Rimrock action. The barrels are switched with an action wrench and a barrel vice.

I'm planning to try the 150gr Bergers and maybe the 175 Matrix bullets. The 270 barrel only has a 1-10 twist though, so I'm not sure about the Matrix bullets.

I'm also getting 1000 of the 200gr Wildact 7mm bullets that go with the 7mm RUM barrel. I may have a 375 BME barrel fit to the action as well, just to have a complete set of barrels!

scope eye
06-06-2014, 05:05 AM
I never load the magazine on my RUMs, I don't in any of my rigs for that matter, due to I don't have anything normal as far as cases, there all AI or overbore or some odd shoulder angle and just never feed right, so I load everything one at a time I am so use to it that I can do it second nature and it is a smooth process, as far as RUMs and other large calibers it's not like you are shooting wholesale amounts, that's 100gr of powder going off so you will need time to regroup and recover, from they awesomeness of what you have just witnessed.

Dean

scooterf79
06-06-2014, 06:15 AM
Thanks for clearing that up, I was thinking the UM bunch was that bigger bolt face, the size bigger than the magnums.. 338 Lapua maybe? (cant remember the numbers right off) Anyway, now that thats straight in my head.
If I were to go an UM build I wouldnt plan on a repeater, just bask in the glory of it 1 at a time :D
I think an UM project would be alot of fun

Heard alot of the Allen Mags were death rays lol

Dean, the 264/6.5 UM you built...isnt that similar to the 26 Nosler case wise?

Scooter

scope eye
06-06-2014, 06:41 AM
You don't need a repeater if the bullet doesn't get them the shock wave will, as far as the 26 Nosler it is very respectful in it's own right, but with it's case capacity of 93gr it is more like a 300 Win Mag that you neck down to 6.5 minus the belt, oppose to the RUM 110gr case capacity, they only reason I have never done a Weatherby based 378 wildcat with it's 130gr case capacity is because it is to cost prohibitive with brass going for 4 to 5 dollars a piece, It's all good, me personally I don't need to fire a lot of rounds to feel fulfilled, when I am in the field or at the range, let me put it this way I always have ammo left at they end of the day, I shoot like am eating a Porterhouse steak I savor every moment, when I am sitting beside someone who can't cycle the next round fast enough, they never seem like they are enjoying themselves, maybe they are I don't see it anyways.

Dean

scope eye
06-06-2014, 07:12 AM
By far my favorite is "ya but you will only get 500 shots out of if it" I'll tell you what after you have fired 500 rounds of RUMs get back to me, and another thing what if that round allowed you to get that once in a lifetime trophy, that was at a distance that otherwise you could never have taken, wouldn't it make it all worthwhile, if it wasn't for being able to set back a barrel, I would probably not be as aggressive in my loading and caliber choices, but it is available so I am going to live life to the fullest, as far as shooting is concerned.

Dean

seanhagerty
06-06-2014, 07:36 AM
A RUM thread that Dean posts in?? Who would have thought of such a thing?