PDA

View Full Version : model 10 bolt in axis action??

ont.deerhunter
06-04-2014, 10:24 PM
Will a model 10 bolt fit and work in an axis action?

LoneWolf
06-04-2014, 10:42 PM
Nope different lengths.

drybean
06-04-2014, 10:49 PM
She will be short

ont.deerhunter
06-05-2014, 07:41 AM
will the long action bolt fit the short action axis, Was hoping to put a ptg bolt in an axis build

LoneWolf
06-05-2014, 07:47 AM
No the Axis bolt is Proprietary to the Axis and no other Bolt body made by Savage will fit it. Also note that Bolt handles for the 10-110 series will fit on an Axis, but not provide primary extraction as they are not of the same design.

Please don't get this topic going again because it has gone around the horn at least ten times. As of late. Not trying to be rude just informative in advance.

You can get a fluted Axis Bolt body from SSS thouch and Fred also cuts it in a particular manner to reduce bolt lift. I run on my Axis and the bolt is very nice and smooth. I don't think anybody here has built their Axis up as much as I have, so this is coming from 100% Axis Build experience.

ont.deerhunter
06-05-2014, 12:19 PM
No the Axis bolt is Proprietary to the Axis and no other Bolt body made by Savage will fit it. Also note that Bolt handles for the 10-110 series will fit on an Axis, but not provide primary extraction as they are not of the same design.

Please don't get this topic going again because it has gone around the horn at least ten times. As of late. Not trying to be rude just informative in advance.

You can get a fluted Axis Bolt body from SSS thouch and Fred also cuts it in a particular manner to reduce bolt lift. I run on my Axis and the bolt is very nice and smooth. I don't think anybody here has built their Axis up as much as I have, so this is coming from 100% Axis Build experience.

Thanks for the info was looking on the pacific tool and gauge website and was hoping that bolt would work for my axis build will check out sss

Elgin
06-07-2014, 11:22 PM
Most guys should be able to flute your Axis bolt for you. I would check to see if they've done them before, and let them know that they're in between the standard Savage short action and long action bolts length wise.

I had all 3 of mine done by Longrifles Inc. in a spiral flute. Definitely runs smoother. The SSS fluted bolts are nice too (run one on a 110).

LoneWolf
06-07-2014, 11:25 PM
Most guys should be able to flute your Axis bolt for you. I would check to see if they've done them before, and let them know that they're in between the standard Savage short action and long action bolts length wise.

I had all 3 of mine done by Longrifles Inc. in a spiral flute. Definitely runs smoother. The SSS fluted bolts are nice too (run one on a 110).

But did they also cut them for reduced bolt lift? SSS also added an increase in performance!

Elgin
06-08-2014, 01:12 AM
Nope, just fluted.

Is that something standard he does to all bolts he flutes? Can't say I noticed it on the one I have. Be interested in understanding what he cuts.

LoneWolf
06-08-2014, 01:15 AM
He cuts a better angle in the window that the charging bolt rides in so that it is a much smoother lift. I can lift my bolt with one finger.

Elgin
06-08-2014, 01:42 AM
Interesting. Did you have him time and true the whole action (I've been thinking about having that done to my Axis actions. Would like to have them cut for a regular lug too at some point)? From what I've read (including some of Fred's posts), changing the cocking ramp angle is only part of the process. It sounded like only doing that could have adverse effects. Changing the ramp angle changes the sear timing too I believe (I'll have to dig up the post where I read that).

LoneWolf
06-08-2014, 01:46 AM
Regardless, it runs much smoother. I haven't had the action trued on mine. With how it's shooting it didn't seem necessary and for the additional cost of truing I can almost get a 10/110 action. Which is what I'm using for my next savage build currently.

Elgin
06-08-2014, 02:12 AM
That's why I haven't had mine done yet either. Good luck with your build!

ont.deerhunter - Also, look into getting a longer bolt handle done (no one sells them, but you can get your factory handle threaded, or it's pretty easy to do yourself). The extra leverage will help improve bolt lift quite a bit too.