PDA

View Full Version : Savage Predator 223 range Report *Updated W/pics

teddy12b
09-08-2009, 01:53 PM
Well,
I got out last weekend with my new to me Savage Predator in 223. I bought it used off of gunbroker a couple weeks back for a deal I couldn't pass up. The rifle probably didn't have 100 rounds through it, but did have some rough handling marks on the camo.

I test fired some factory remington 55gr FMJ, factory PMC 55gr FMJ, handloaded Hornady 55gr JSP w/c over H322 and IMR 3031, and the last loads I tested were handloaded Sierra 69gr matchkings over Ramshot TAC.

The factory FMJ's were just to try out. The Hornady JSP's were shot because I have plenty of them and wanted to get rid of those H322 and IMR 3031 powders. My real hopes were to see how the matchkings & TAC shot.

I'll post pictures later, but the only rounds that shot under 1 MOA at 100 yards were the 69gr matchkings. I was able to hit targets out to 700 yards with them, but they were bigger targets and it wasn't that great of a group at 100 yards.

About how many rounds does it take to get a Savage barrel broken in with? I put 100 or so through it, but wanted to know what you all thought. In any case I think the rifle and handloads are capable to do better than what they did. I need to take some more material off the inside of the stock to make sure it's free floating, but everything else is great.

GUNFANATIC
09-08-2009, 04:50 PM
About how many rounds does it take to get a Savage barrel broken in with?
Ahh! Barrel break in!

Clean thoroughly after each shot for the first 200 rounds. Then clean after every 2 shots for the next 1,000 rounds.................... ::)

Sorry, I'm feeling sarcastic today. ;)

ajlandis
09-08-2009, 04:57 PM
What were the group sizes of the other loads like? Your barrel should be "broken in" enough to give good accuracy. Most give great results fresh from the factory. How has the cleaning been going? Much copper on the patches?

Texas Solo
09-08-2009, 10:21 PM
I just got the same rifle two weeks ago. I broke in the barrel with some crap ammo, then shot some Federal Premium 55gr sierra BTHP.
The crap ammo shot 1.250" @ 100
Federal Premium shot 1.00" @ 100
Handloads from my other Savage shot .500" @ 100 (LC brass, 25.0gr AA2230, Nosler 55gr BT)

That's not as tight as my #12BVSS, but I wasn't expecting that from my Coyote gun.

js223
09-10-2009, 05:48 PM
I'd suggest giving it a GOOD cleaning. Perhaps the former owner let it get coppered up.

Dennis
09-10-2009, 08:51 PM
Try Black Hills 52gr, Then find some 55gr V-Max bullets. These two are the only ones mine will shoot.

teddy12b
09-13-2009, 09:56 PM
I finally got a chance to get some pictures taken & posted.

Here's the rifle:

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii22/teddy12b/Savage%20Predator%20223/DSC00148.jpg

All reloads were using Winchester Brass

Group 1:

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii22/teddy12b/Savage%20Predator%20223/DSC00142.jpg

Group 2:

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii22/teddy12b/Savage%20Predator%20223/DSC00141.jpg

Group 3:

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii22/teddy12b/Savage%20Predator%20223/DSC00146.jpg

I took the pictures with the calipers at the longest points of the group I could find. I'd be curious how you all would measure these. They are good, but not all that great.

groupshooter22
09-14-2009, 01:43 AM
Measure em just like that and subtract your bullet diameter (.224).

BrentWin
09-14-2009, 01:22 PM
Clean her up good and try some 60 gr Vmax's with your TAC. These are great coyote bullets. They go in but rarely come out the other side.

teddy12b
09-14-2009, 04:36 PM
I've used the foaming bore cleaner and the brush inside this barrel a lot. I'm probably going to scrub it out even more just because it's new to me, but I have been working on this rifle alot. I bought it used, but I from what i could tell I doubt it had many rounds through it at all. I have some more of the 69gr matchkings loaded up over the TAC and hoping next trip to the range I'll be able to reach out farther. Last time I ran out of ammo at the 700 yard mark. According to my drop chart and chrono data I think the bullet goes subsonic between 700 & 800 yards. I know the groups won't be all that great, but it'd be nice to shoot this rifle as far as the range will allow.

stiff neck
09-16-2009, 03:18 PM
Buying used rifles is always a gamble. Many who have guns that don't shoot, sell them to get rid of them. When you buy one used, you have no way of knowing if it is a lemon or not or why the owner sold it. There's a good chance there's something wrong with it. Worn out barrel, inaccurate, crappy trigger, etc.

teddy12b
09-16-2009, 04:33 PM
I'm always nervous about buying a used rifle, especially when they can't tell me an accurate round count. I bought this because locally this rifle brand new is pushing $700. Online on the auction I almost had it under $400. There are some cosmetic blemishes like the camo paint chipping off the trigger guard, but I don't really care since it's a camo rifle, who's ever going to notice. I asked the dealer about what shape it was in and he said it didn't look like it has hardly been fired and I agree with him. The action still feels new and not smoothed out and there aren't the usual wear spots. I think the rifle is plenty accurate for a predator & range rifle, and I expect it to get better as I develop loads and get used to the rifle. There's a lot to consider when buying used and I appreciate the heads up, but in this case I got lucky as all get out. That rifle as it sets in the picture including the scope cost me less than $650 for a setup I was making consistant hits with out to 700 yards. I can't complain one bit.

bluealtered
09-17-2009, 07:56 AM
I don't buy rifles on line but, ... i'm with you on this one teddy. I'm sitting here waiting on a "new" to me model 10 predator in .243 to show up from colorado. I'm sitting here like a kid at christmas.

Sometimes you just have roll the dice and see what happens. It looks like you got a winner in that one. blue

Texas Solo
09-17-2009, 08:30 AM
I'm getting mildly concerned with my new Predator Hunter in .223
After the barrel break in routine with Winchester 55gr FMJ, I've tried Federal Premium 55gr BTHP (Sierra),
and Hornady 55gr V-Max. The best group I can get is 1.25". That's really disturbing to me.
I can't reload yet, but quality factory ammo should shoot MOA.

Speaking of reloading, has anyone measured their chambers? What OAL are you using?

teddy12b
09-17-2009, 09:10 AM
It all depends on what you untimately want out of your rifle. At the end of the day all I care about is accuracy because if I can't hit what I'm aiming at I'll end up hating the gun. Buying a used Savage I know I'm getting an accurate rifle, if it's got some wear and tear on it that's fine because it'll get there eventually.

I don't buy a lot of used guns, especially over the internet, but there are plenty of guns out there being sold with less than 100 rounds through them for huge $$ savings. The biggest thing I look for when I get a used rifle is the crown. If that's ok, then the guns probably ok.

Texas Solo,
You may want to try some black hills heavier bullets in that rifle since you can't reload them yourself. Heavy bullets seem to be the way to go. The OAL I use is dictated by AR-15 magazine, because I want to be able to use these rounds in an AR if I want/need to also.

Dennis
09-17-2009, 11:02 AM
52gr Match HP's Black Hills, if they don't shoot, then start working on the gun! I state this from my personal experience! With a 1/9" twist, they should be .3moa or less @ 100.

Did the gun come with a scope? Which scope do you have?

Dennis

bluealtered
09-17-2009, 06:01 PM
I have been pretty much sticking with 2.260 oal for my v-max 55gr, works good in both the savages and the ar's. blue