PDA

View Full Version : Tip of the day III

foxx
06-04-2014, 08:00 PM
Never, I repeat, NEVER use green loc-tite on a SSS Competition Trigger screws, or any other trigger, for that matter.

josh_m
06-04-2014, 08:37 PM
Lol, worse than the red stuff.

foxx
06-04-2014, 08:41 PM
And, the strength of the bond was the last of my problems. Like penetrating oil, 1 drop found its way into every working part of the mechanism locking it up tight as a drum. Rendered it absolutely useless.

seanhagerty
06-04-2014, 09:14 PM
Did I miss two other tips?

foxx
06-04-2014, 09:24 PM
yep.

I've got tons of them. All gained from personal experience.

As I recall, one had something to do with Ajax cleanser and parmesan cheese, the other was about bedding a stock, but I don't remember. Most are best kept to myself, but not forgotten.

josh_m
06-04-2014, 10:44 PM
Methelyne chloride.
Or
Bake it in oven @ 425 till it's done in the middle, let cool, and serve with a side of dressing and gravy.

thomae
06-05-2014, 08:04 PM
If I may point you to an article that may help explain the differences in threadlockers: http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?175-Threadlocker-Facts-References-Resources

Green threadlocker is designed to penetrate and is used on already assembled parts that can not be disassembled.

My suggestion would be to use purple (light duty) threadlocker for just about any firearms-related application I can think of.

DrThunder88
06-06-2014, 09:03 AM
Plus, purple is fabulous.

I almost did something very similar to this yesterday, which was after I read your cautionary tale. So much for taking a hint.

yobuck
06-07-2014, 10:55 AM
If i helps, i did the same thing with an SS trigger. Thought id add a drop of locktite to the threads on that little nut.
Next day the whole thing was loctighted up. Took it all apart and cleaned it up but couldnt get it back together.
Fortunatly a phone call to the right people had another new one and a box of parts crossing in the mail.
Another tip of the day. USE A TOOTHPIC WHEN APPLYING LOCTITE.