PDA

View Full Version : Boyds or Choate?

Mark in Mo
06-04-2014, 12:53 PM
I'm looking to up grade my stock on my 112 25-06 (varmint contour)...I have been using it mostly for long range shooting and Deer hunting. Way to much flex in the factory stock!

I was looking for opinions on the Boyds tacticool and the Choate tactical. Boyds list theirs as 2.85 pounds vs Choate is 3lbs11oz. I would have thought the laminated would have been heavier , has anyone weighed one?

Any opinions on either would be greatly appreciated

Jamie
06-04-2014, 01:15 PM
A lot of people like the Choate but they always felt too plasticky for me.

LoneWolf
06-04-2014, 01:56 PM
The advantage you get from the choate is 1: it's synthetic which tends to do better in temperature swings and handling environmental challengers and 2: you get an aluminum bedding block. This is what drove me to my decision. It will be a little heavier, but it will also be more rigid and require less modifications to be a solid shooting platform. I'm dropping a 116 action in it and chambering it for 6.5-06. I don't have a Boyds, but I have a SSS Laminate on my Axis and it's solid, but I'd feel more comfortable in the field banging around a synthetic.

D.ID
06-06-2014, 02:23 AM
I have a few choate stocks and just got my first tacticool earlier this week.
I love the choate's ergonomics and durability, indestructible would be my one word description. I find there tactical to be the most comfortable stock I have had. In the case of the choate's weight it is clearly a reflection of it's "heavy duty" construction, It's down right tough....... Love it, that being said.............................................
The tacticool I just got is for a tikka t3 in pepperwood laminate.
Absolutely beautiful!
Inletted perfectly.The factory listed weight is very close.
Little narrower forgrip and slightly smaller grip but other wise the same profile as the choate. No pillars or bedding block so I just installed pillars tonight and will bed this next week but I must say: I am seriously impressed. Going to take some extra work do to the lack of bedding block but surprisingly nice for the money.
For fighting, rolling in the mud and rain or drop in and go: choate.
For a bit less money, a bit more work and certainly more fragile but more cosmetically concerned approach the tacticool is nice.

Texas Solo
06-06-2014, 02:43 PM
It's going to take some work to get the Boyd's to where the Choate is straight out of the box. I put my first build into a Choate Tactical, tightened the screws and that was it. 1000 rounds later it still shoots sub 1/2MOA. It's just a SOLID stock. If there's really some long range shooting in your future as your post says, the choice should be clear.

RevM
06-06-2014, 02:49 PM
I had to do just a little bit of clearancing with the dremel to get the Choate Tactical to take the plastic trigger guard and bottom "metal" from my Trophy Hunter XP with the Axis style DBM - but other than that it's a rock solid stock and a pretty good deal at the price.

GaCop
06-07-2014, 07:04 AM
The advantage you get from the choate is 1: it's synthetic which tends to do better in temperature swings and handling environmental challengers and 2: you get an aluminum bedding block. This is what drove me to my decision. It will be a little heavier, but it will also be more rigid and require less modifications to be a solid shooting platform. I'm dropping a 116 action in it and chambering it for 6.5-06. I don't have a Boyds, but I have a SSS Laminate on my Axis and it's solid, but I'd feel more comfortable in the field banging around a synthetic. +1 for the Choate stock. I have two of them on a 308 and 223 Ackley and love how the feel and ride the bags.

GaCop
06-07-2014, 07:05 AM
It's going to take some work to get the Boyd's to where the Choate is straight out of the box. I put my first build into a Choate Tactical, tightened the screws and that was it. 1000 rounds later it still shoots sub 1/2MOA. It's just a SOLID stock. If there's really some long range shooting in your future as your post says, the choice should be clear. Well said!

Mark in Mo
06-08-2014, 09:51 AM
Well I went with the Choate, should be here Tue :)
I have plans for another build and will probably use one of the boyds stocks...after all variety is the fun part!
Hey thanks for the replys...I will be needing help in the near future with that next build if I can only decide wich action to use, so many choices :)