PDA

View Full Version : New to Savage - Have a few Questions

castells007
06-04-2014, 08:40 AM
New to Savage, bolt guns and this site. Thanks in advance for any help!

I picked up a new Model 11 Trophy Hunter xp in .243. It seems pretty cool and I'm pretty excited. I noticed that it has similar molded-in plastic bottom metal and magazine system similar to the Axis. The mag has the retention clip on the magazine and the bolt release is at the trigger guard. Does this gun share the same action and action bolt spacing as the Axis or is it the same as the 11 type models? Should i look at Axis or Model 11 accessories?

I am also thinking of getting a "real" bottom metal from cdi, ptg or from savage so I can run 10 rnd mags. There will probably be a stock change in the future as well, so is it correct that i will need a detachable bottom metal for a new stock? Are any of the bottom metals easy to install on the current synthetic stock or do all require inletting or removal of the molded-in plastic bottom metal?

Anything else i should be worried about?

Thanks!

earl39
06-04-2014, 10:52 AM
You need to look for parts to fit a model 10, 11, 12, 14, or 16. The Axis is not the same action.

castells007
06-04-2014, 01:58 PM
Thanks Earl.

Does anyone know about bottom metal installation in the polymer stock that has the molded-in bottom end?

Thanks.

J.Baker
06-05-2014, 07:37 AM
The answer is Yes and No. LOL

The Trophy Hunters are their own animal. They're based on the 110's, but they're cheapened up as much as physically possible to get the price down - thus the Axis magazine system that eliminates the expensive 110-series metal bottom metal. The stock for the Trophy Hunters are unique to them and Boyds and SSS both offer replacements to fit in several styles if that's what you're looking to do. Other parts such as triggers, bolt bodies, scope bases, bolt handles, etc. are all the same as the 110-series rifles.