PDA

View Full Version : How to remove smooth barrel nut?

Pages : 1 [2]

RevM
06-05-2014, 03:07 PM
are you guys using the Wheeler smooth nut wrench with a barrel vise? ...

My troubles with the smooth nut wrench were with an action wrench.

bflee
06-05-2014, 07:07 PM
Has anyone tried wrapping rubber around the nut and then putting a pipe wrench on it? I have removed and reinstalled fine chrome fixtures with this method.

FW Conch
06-05-2014, 07:46 PM
I hear what you're saying bflee, but I'm willing to bet your fine chrome fixtures didn't have blueing salts cooked into the threads, fine beads from who knows what, or thread locker in the threads. The ones I have had the most trouble with, the teeth on the pipe wrench would have bitten through the rubber, or the rubber would have simply slipped.

Just Sayin :)).......Jim

bflee
06-05-2014, 07:51 PM
Havnt tried it. Just a suggestion!

jpdown
06-05-2014, 08:00 PM
+1. I've tried double sided tape and rubber gloves. The pipe wrench teeth will bite through these materials before the nut breaks loose. Just sacrifice the first nut or try to file out the marks and re-blue. Otherwise you'll full around with it and end up putting a scratch in your barrel. Then you'll really be sad. Don't ask me how I know.

FW Conch
06-05-2014, 10:26 PM
The bad thing is there seems to be a shortage of Savage parts, and I have no idea why. I can't believe people are so paranoid that they are hoarding gun parts. Why would Midway be out of almost all of Savage gun parts that they stock?

Anyway, as suggested above, make sure You have a good nut in hand before you mess up the old one! Just Sayin! :))

RevM
06-05-2014, 10:52 PM
You might have something there bflee ... but it would need to be something fairly heavy like a piece of garden hose in conjunction with the pipe wrench. Couldn't hurt to try it if you would really like to salvage the smooth barrel nut ... you never know, there might be a market for pulled smooth barrel nuts if you can get them off cleanly. ;)

bflee
06-06-2014, 07:11 AM
It would have to be really tough for it not to work. We are using a 36" pipe wrench with some of them and if that wont break the barrel loose they must be pretty tight.
We also have a piece of flat rubber about 3/8" thick. It does the trick on em and some have been there for years.

bluealtered
06-06-2014, 08:13 AM
Well if lawers were building the rifles, the first thing to stop us from working/change anything would be to use a nut that is hard to get off. The second would be to quit shipping key parts to supplyers.

FW Conch
06-06-2014, 08:26 AM
As for me, if I can't break the nut loose with 100ft#'s of torque, I go with the propane torch ("the blue wrench"). Heat the nut until that "thread locker" bubbles up, and they come right loose. Much less chance of damaging anything.

JMHO :))........Jim

grendelguy
06-10-2014, 06:55 PM
I must be luck as hell! I put the barrel in a vise with .5" rubber pads and locked it down about 3"+/- from the nut. I had a shooting buddy insert an action wrench and I grabbed the nut with pipe wrench. Broke loose on the first try and all I am out is the barrel but that I am replacing with a grooved but anyway. Thanks to all for ideas!

chromatica
06-10-2014, 10:17 PM
I rebarreled my new Model 11 to 260 using the smooth and slotted nut wrench from Gun Shack - http://www.gunshack.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=42&product_id=67. Even rapping the smooth nut wrench sharply didn't break it free so I used a small propane torch from Harbor Freight (http://www.harborfreight.com/electric-start-propane-torch-91061.html). I pointed the flame at the nut while the receiver was locked in an action vise and moved the flame it slowly around the circumference in complete circles. After a couple of these heat applications, it broke free. There was a little discoloration on the receiver - I am sure if I had been more careful I could have prevented that. I didn't want to hassle with the smooth nut again so I replaced it with a slotted nut when I installed the new barrel.

mikeinco
05-03-2019, 12:36 AM
how about a timely update
my rifle is a 2018 build/sold
111 7 rem mag
smooth round nut
bbl mounted in a bbl vice
i tried a round nut wrench...nothing moved
tried a internal recver wrench with the round nut still tight...nothing moved
loosened the round nut wrench and unscrewed the recvr with a open end wrench on the recvr wrench
i would have to conclude that SMOOTH/ROUND WRENCHES ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM...compressing the nut against the bbl shank
i have not removed the smooth nut, but the bbl threads into the recvr have copper based anti seize on them.
off to build my long throated 300 win mag.