PDA

View Full Version : Model 10 conversion to 7WSM or 6.5 SAUM

Yoshi
06-01-2014, 03:59 PM
Thinking about changing my .308 to a 7WSM or 6.5 SAUM. Recommended? Other than a bolt & barrel change, anything else I need to consider?

thermaler
06-01-2014, 04:18 PM
How about a regular ol 260--should be nothing more than a barrel swap?

wbm
06-01-2014, 04:28 PM
Magazine change.

bootsmcguire
06-01-2014, 04:32 PM
If you want a repeater you will need a WSM mag body and follower. You will either need a Push-feed WSM bolt head and firing pin, or a custom bolt head made. You can take a Magnum head from a long action and have the stem shortened to short action length and then reset your pin protrusion and you are good to go. Get ahold of Jim at Apache Gunworks (http://www.apachegunworks.com), I believe he has the reamer for the 6.5 SAUM and can make you a small shank barrel to fit your action. PT&G should be able to make you a bolt head if you don't want to convert one.

Hope that helps.

Yoshi
06-01-2014, 05:12 PM
How about a regular ol 260--should be nothing more than a barrel swap?

I already have a .260 or I would. Trying to find a reason to keep the action I have. :)

If you want a repeater you will need a WSM mag body and follower. You will either need a Push-feed WSM bolt head and firing pin, or a custom bolt head made. You can take a Magnum head from a long action and have the stem shortened to short action length and then reset your pin protrusion and you are good to go. Get ahold of Jim at Apache Gunworks (http://www.apachegunworks.com), I believe he has the reamer for the 6.5 SAUM and can make you a small shank barrel to fit your action. PT&G should be able to make you a bolt head if you don't want to convert one.

Hope that helps.

It does. Thanks! When you're talking about the "body and follower" you're just talking about the bolt, right? Also, will the action itself be strong enough for a magnum round?

Yoshi
06-01-2014, 05:12 PM
Magazine change.

Thanks! Knew I was forgetting something. :)

wbm
06-01-2014, 05:31 PM
You can take a Magnum head from a long action and have the stem shortened to short action length and then reset your pin protrusion and you are good to go.

I did this for a 300WSM. I did not want a control round feed. Works great!

bootsmcguire
06-01-2014, 05:50 PM
It does. Thanks! When you're talking about the "body and follower" you're just talking about the bolt, right? Also, will the action itself be strong enough for a magnum round?

Nope, the magazine body and follower. Yes your action is plenty strong enough. I have a 6-WSM on a Small/Standard Shank and it works great.

Yoshi
06-01-2014, 06:14 PM
Nope, the magazine body and follower. Yes your action is plenty strong enough. I have a 6-WSM on a Small/Standard Shank and it works great.

Sorry! Had a brain fart. I follow you now.

Yoshi
06-01-2014, 06:19 PM
I did this for a 300WSM. I did not want a control round feed. Works great!

So, you just went with a single shot?