PDA

View Full Version : H-S Precision stock--butt pad?

Sporting Lad
06-01-2014, 12:38 AM
How can I remove the butt pad from my Savage 10 FCP HS?
No screws are visible. It appears to have been...glued on??
Really? :o

LoneWolf
06-01-2014, 02:35 AM
Cut it off...... Sand of the rest of the junk and replace.

Sporting Lad
06-01-2014, 10:24 AM
Cut it off...... Sand of the rest of the junk and replace.

Is that what you did?

LoneWolf
06-01-2014, 10:38 AM
That's what I would do and what a Gunsmith would do if you took it to one.

chukarmandoo
06-01-2014, 10:43 AM
On my FCP-SR with a HS stock it has screws. The same with the HS in the carbine. The screw holes are barely visible.

Sporting Lad
06-01-2014, 11:08 AM
It's a mystery. My Savage 14 has very obvious screws (as does every other rifle in my collection).
The bobos at our 'Gunz R Us' were likewise baffled. Spent some time poking & pinching, searching for
hidden screwholes. Nada.
I'm going to phone H-S precision and ask them if there's a secret to it.

IDK-- That OEM butt pad that's smucked on there may be perfectly fine. Would H-S put a crappy pad
on a precision stock? That would make no sense.
It's just that I'm very 'pro-choice' when it comes to my guns...

Sporting Lad
06-02-2014, 08:46 PM
I tried probing for screws--nada.
Finally somebody from "Stocky's" contacted me. She'd just talked to H-S and got this reply:

"The pad can either be cut off or 'squeezed' in a bench vise.

Cut off: band saw or jig saw at the line where the painted part of the stock meets the hard polymer piece of the recoil pad.

Vise: place the jaws of the vise on the recoil pad and align the top of the jaws with the polymer spacer (piece) of the recoil pad and tighten. You will hear a cracking/pop sound and then gently “rock” the stock back and forth and the pad will come off. This is how we remove them here.

Both options I would wrap blue painters tape at the seam (covering the painted part of the stock) where the polymer spacer meets the painted part of the stock."

So it IS glued on! That just seems kind of a whacky-jacky way to mount a rubber pad, but there it is.

sharpshooter
06-03-2014, 01:30 AM
If you must know....they use Gorilla Glue.

Sporting Lad
06-03-2014, 02:02 AM
Da-FUQ?? Well, no wonder--that stuff is amazing! Just don't over-do it... :o |