PDA

View Full Version : BVSS blind mag removal

Texas Solo
05-31-2014, 08:36 PM
My new BVSS 308 has a lousy action fit. The first thing I noticed is that the magazine clip doesn't even come in contact with the pillar. As I tighten the rear screw, I feel it as being sort of squishy. It definitely does not come to an abrupt stop like the front. The pillar wasn't even installed square, it a little rotated clockwise. I need to relieve some wood from under the mag clip and bed that area, but I can't figure out how to remove the stupid thing. It appears like you would push on the blued steel tab, freeing the mag from the clip, but that doesn't work. The book says to simply affix the clip to the mag and push it back in place "if it falls out" during dissassembly. That's a joke.
I've already floated the tang and that helped some with grouping, but this thing is definitely binding somewhere.

So how do I get this thing apart to fix this area?

GaryBF
05-31-2014, 09:32 PM
The 12BVSS stock is nice looking but useless, in my opinion. I gave up on mine and replaced it with a Choate Tactical. The Savage "pillars" are a joke; they are just sleeves and support nothing. Anyway, to answer your question, I fiddled with my magazine and finally pried up on the magazine clip, as I recall. There is a more detailed explanation here somewhere.

GaryBF
05-31-2014, 09:39 PM
I found it: page 2 of the FAQs.

Texas Solo
05-31-2014, 09:43 PM
I agree with you Gary, the stock is pretty, but a POS for accuracy. I have a Choate stock just sitting here, but it's for a DBM.
Do you know if I can order bottom metal and mag and switch it over that easily? I'm not a big fan of the Choate, but it's way better than my BVSS stock.

GaryBF
05-31-2014, 09:51 PM
.....Do you know if I can order bottom metal and mag and switch it over that easily? .....
Sorry, I don't know. I have mine set up as a single shot.

Texas Solo
05-31-2014, 10:47 PM
I just answered my own question. I stole the bottom "plastic" and mag from my #11VT 308 and used it on my Choate stock with the BVSS action. It went together like butter.
I think I'll just order bottom metal and mag from a #12 VLP/DBM and slap it together.

Thanks for finding the info. I didn't think of checking the FAQ :confused: