PDA

View Full Version : Back at it with scope choices

pat_man
05-30-2014, 08:33 AM
So tooling around online I found a Nikon Prostaff with 4-12X magnification and a mildot reticle for $223 bucks. I notice however that most of you guys are running a fixed power swss of whatever the abbreviation is scope. Is there a big advantage on the fixed power? I like the idea of variable power it just seems like a good idea but maybe you know something I don't? I know Nikon puts out a good product as I have a M223 on my AR and that thing is clear enough to see through on a new moon lol. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

barrel-nut
05-30-2014, 09:37 AM
The two main advantages to most fixed power scopes are: 1. Simpler, more durable design due to much fewer moving parts than a variable
2. Generally better glass than a variable at the same price point, due to the savings created by the simpler design. But as with all things gunny, YMMV. I only have one fixed power scope, a Weaver T-36, and it's a great scope for the price and the intended purpose. But I find that variables are much more versatile and useful in a broader range of scenarios.

bremereric
05-30-2014, 10:25 AM
Go to optics planet and score you a Mueller 4.5 x 14 x 40 with a 30mm tube for 166.00 to your door. There is free shipping and a 5% discount right now. It's a mildot tactical scope.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/mueller-optics-4-5-14x-40mm-ao-all-purpose-tactical-riflescope.html

foxx
05-30-2014, 10:52 AM
The two main advantages to most fixed power scopes are: 1. Simpler, more durable design due to much fewer moving parts than a variable
2. Generally better glass than a variable at the same price point, due to the savings created by the simpler design. But as with all things gunny, YMMV. I only have one fixed power scope, a Weaver T-36, and it's a great scope for the price and the intended purpose. But I find that variables are much more versatile and useful in a broader range of scenarios.

you also get better internal, repeatable adjustment/mechanics.

You may have been seeing good reports on SWFA "SS", formerly known as "Super Sniper", ( which was too cheesey of a name). They only sell direct, (no middleman reps or retailers) and they have excellent mechanics that serve tactical and target shooters well. I have experienced some bad glare in hunting situations, though. I also now have a Weaver T-36. Excellent, but at 36x, it seems only suitable for target.

The SWFA for $300 and the T-36 for $400 is about 1/2 the cost of variables of the same quality. For hunting purposes, I much prefer variables, but you gotta pay for features and quality. When on a budget (who isn't?) consider carefully which features are most important and look for scopes that offer them and nothing more.

For example, for target, you need easy, accurate, repeatable adjustment and high mag. SWFA SS fits the bill.

For most deer hunting, however, if you are like me, you need clear, non-glare glass with 2-9 or 1.5-6 mag range. (heavy cover and max long-range shots of 250yds. 150 yards is "long" and extremely rare). Once the scope is zeroed, I never touch the turrets again. In that case, Leupold vx-3 1.75-6 is nice. They all cost about the same, but put their money into totally different features. The more you try to accomplish with one scope, the more you gotta pay.