PDA

View Full Version : New to reloading... What to buy

Pages : [1] 2

NoDealin
05-29-2014, 06:17 PM
Hi all... I am new to the Savage shooters forum as I just purchased my first Savage (Hog Hunter .308). I have owned several pistols, and a home defense shotgun, and love to target shoot and plink at the range.

I am am considering reloading my own ammo, and have done a little research on the major manufacturers ( Lee, Lyman, RCBS, Hornady) I want to be able to reload the following cartridges: 9mm, for home defense and plinking, .45 for home defense and plinking, .223 and .308 for target shooting out to 500 yds, as well as some hunting. I would rather not spend $1,000, and have a decent sized area to reload. My realistic budget is about $400 to start, with some additions down the road.

I am am reaching out to the forum looking for recommendations for the best quality/value reloading gear for a beginner. I understand that reading the manuals is important, and plan to do so. I plan on reloading 100 rds or so each week in pistol, as well as 20-30 each week in rifle.

What would you recommend I purchase? Keep in mind I am a noob, and if there is a sticky or other thread than answers this, can you post a link to it? When I have more specific questions I will bring them back....

wbm
05-29-2014, 06:31 PM
You are going to get lot's of answers to your questions and everyone will have their favorites.

You might consider a basic reloading kit. Hornady, RCBS, Lee and others offer a basic kit and usually you save some money going that route. Midway, Cabelas, and other vendors have what you are looking for.

As far as ammunition for home defense goes, I personally would not reload a 9MM or 45 for that purpose....go with factory!

NoDealin
05-29-2014, 06:35 PM
Thanks wbm....

buggybuilder
05-29-2014, 07:18 PM
You can't go wrong with anything that says RCBS on it. Replacement and repair parts warranty is fantastic!

bootsmcguire
05-29-2014, 07:41 PM
For a press RCBS is a good choice, I personally have Lee and like it.

For Dies that don't break the bank, Lee all the way. I have lots of Lee, some RCBS, Hornady, CH4D, and Redding. I personally don't care to much for the RCBS dies but I have picked some up used cheap enough to warrant buying them. Lee and Hornady are my current favorites, and I love my Reddings but they can be a tad cashy and out of the beginner price point.

The Lee Ultimate Die set is the way to go for Rifle cartridges and the Deluxe Sets for Pistol rounds. Those sets will give you the most versatility in your reloading, IMHO.

scope eye
05-29-2014, 07:45 PM
Here is a good deal for you, everything you need except the dies.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/RCBS-reg-Rock-Chucker-Supreme-Master-Reloading-Kit/1324071.uts?productVariantId=3084383&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=1324071&rid=40&channel=GoogleBaseUSA&mr:trackingCode=94DE149D-E234-E111-B2D2-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla_with_promotion&mr:ad=47135040671&mr:keyword&mr:match&mr:filter=67070534290&gclid=CjgKEAjwtZucBRD77aiiq_v4xnASJABkAg8JV23CPDXp LFD-prUUhivt1Drc8lLJgipXdhkZNbENn_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

stomp442
05-29-2014, 07:46 PM
When I first got started I purchased a Lyman deluxe kit from bass pro for around $300. It came with all the basics including a nice digital scale. That should get you going but be prepared to spend way over $400 in the long run lots of nice tools and accessories that make things easier and as you get more proficient at reloading and seeing the benefits on paper the more it drives you to do better. Its a never ending trail of money but still way cheaper than factory ammo.

03mossy
05-29-2014, 09:11 PM
Never I say Never use reloads for home or self defense, it is really frowned upon and the state prosecution or the victims lawyer, will say without fail that you had some hot loads, and you secretly have always wondered how much damage they would do, even if that was not the case, practice all you want with reloads but never carry them.

Dean

Great point! One of the points they pounded into us when I got my carry permit years ago.

As far as a press look into a Lee classic cast turret. I rarely use the turret feature but I love the ability to switch cartridges in minutes and have my dies already set.

djmurf
05-29-2014, 09:28 PM
I've had real good luck with the rcbs kit. Around $300 for the kit, get your dies, and a few additional items for brass processing and you'll be on your way. I currently reload 308, 223, and 9mm. I've mostly used redding dies, and they have been trouble free!
For rifle brass, I definitely recommend the imperial wax for lubing, much easier than the pads and rcbs line.

Good luck!

NoDealin
05-29-2014, 09:45 PM
Wow. Thanks to all of you for the advice on equipment... And on the defense loads. I carry all the time, and use factory loads, and now will continue to do so... I will check back in after I buy something for some advice.

Once again, thanks for the responses.... Much appreciated...

FW Conch
05-30-2014, 07:42 AM
+1 for LEE. I look at them first for everything I need.

Ackevor
05-30-2014, 12:53 PM
I started with a lee turret and now have the Lee single stage and the progressive load master. All of them work great. the single stage breech lock is great for those "Match" loads and depriming. I have never had an issue with the Turret press. Its too short for the auto index on 30-06 but might work for 308.

The customer service with them is exceptional too, I ordered a few things a while back and never got to using them for a good 8 months. Well when I finally opened the kit there was two pcs of hardware missing for powder drop. They had it mailed to my door within a couple business days no questions.

The lee dies may not be the best out there, but for me at least, they make some incredibly accurate loads. Just an example, I made some painstaking "match" loads for my 30-06 and bought a hornady concentricity tool to check bullet/case runout and correct it. To this day there have been only 2-3 cases out of hundreds that needed any adjusment as the bullet seats nice and straight in the case and has less than .002 runout typically .001 or less.

Honestly, for the money you cant beat Lee products. Sometimes you get unlucky and can get a faulty item (I have not in the 7 years of reloading), but they are always ready to get it fixed for you. The only non lee reloading equipment I have are accessories such as calipers(Frankford Arsenal) and digital scale (Jennings Mack 20). If you don't mind spending the time, the Lee safety balance scale is very accurate when zeroed correctly and is a very very inexpensive way to measure powder accurately

Ohh and one last note, be sure to get the Lee factory crimp die for rifle loads, this way you get consistent bullet tension, that or Lee collet die for neck resizing if you dont full length resize your brass (I use both for good measure).

emtrescue6
05-30-2014, 02:42 PM
Buy a reloading manual or two and read them twice before you buy anything....all of the manuals are pretty good but I really like the Nosler, Hornady and Lee manuals.

Everyone will have their own opinions on brand of equipment as well, truth be told all of the major manufacturers (RCBS, Lee, Redding, Hornady, CH, Dillon) make decent equipment, options and personal preferences is what really matters. If you want the best and most versatile buy a Dillon...buy once cry once...but honestly based on your stated volume a progressive isn't necessary. I have a handfull of presses including a Dillon 650, and yet I use my 40 year old single stage CH presses 99% of the time.

You will need the following basic tools to start:
- Press...I like the old CH single stage presses...but the Hornady Lock N' Load and RCBS RockChukers are also good quality entry level presses...and RCBS has great customer service)...Dillon is the top of the top and their no-BS warranty is the best in the business
- Scale: A quality beam scale from Lyman, Lee or RCBS is the best option...I have a digital scale, but always verify loads with my beam scale...if you insist on an electronic scale go get the RCBS ChargeMaster (Natcheze currently has it on a super sale).
- Dies: Get nothing but carbide dies for your 9mm and 45ACP...I prefer RCBS and Redding Dies, but also have some Hornady, Lee an CH dies and they all work very well.
- Trimmer: They make a variety of them....they all work
- Brass prep tools: chamfer/debur....the Lyman hand tools work well.

That's the kinda absolute minimums in my opinion....add to that Powder, bullets an primers and you can at least get started...but honestly,$1000 will be tight...assuming you can even find the powder an primers you want....

emtrescue6
05-30-2014, 02:43 PM
Never I say Never use reloads for home or self defense, it is really frowned upon and the state prosecution or the victims lawyer, will say without fail that you had some hot loads, and you secretly have always wondered how much damage they would do, even if that was not the case, practice all you want with reloads but never carry them.

Dean

This is good advice to follow...my home defense rounds are the only commerial ammo I buy...and for this reason.

djmurf
05-30-2014, 09:52 PM
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/937051/product?cm_mmc=pe_weekly-_-supersonic-_-ssp_rcbs_20140530_1-_-AdBlock01

Free shipping and only 300.00...

NoDealin
05-31-2014, 12:06 AM
Looking around a lot... It seems that powder is kinda hard to come by unless I want to pay an arm and a leg, or get lucky stumbling on it somewhere

Vince
05-31-2014, 01:45 AM
I started on a Lee Breechlock a few years ago and then recently upgraded to a Forster.

The Lee kit will get you started and then you can upgrade as you want. The first thing I upgraded was my scale, went with a Redding Balance Beam. After that I switched to a Redding Powder Dispenser. Finally I went with a Forster CoAx Press. That's the only single stage press I recommend for my use. The press will set you back a bit as it's 3/4 of your budget. Start with an inexpensive kit and upgrade as you can is my advice. You will learn what you need to learn, be shooting your reloaded ammo, and hopefully have fun.

emtrescue6
05-31-2014, 10:40 AM
Looking around a lot... It seems that powder is kinda hard to come by unless I want to pay an arm and a leg, or get lucky stumbling on it somewhere

Even with "good" prices...whatever that is anymore....no one really saves money reloading anymore! But I also never have to worry about whether or not I can find ammo to go shooting.

6mmBR_Shooter
05-31-2014, 03:08 PM
When I started reloading, I was priming with the medieval torture device known as the Lee ram prime. After overcoming mental illness of doing the same thing over and over again I finally spring for the RCBS Universal Hand Primer. As I opened the package rays of light came down from heaven, a gospel choir began singing, and a hundred white doves came flying out of the box.

That was the best $45-ish I've spend on reloading gear. No shell holders and now I can sit in front of the TV and prime cases significantly faster, and with less tantrums and crying.

BillPa
05-31-2014, 04:37 PM
Oh, while we're on the "what to buy" subject, a set of check weights might be in order. I don't care if a scale cost $500 or $5 at a yard sale there isn't any other way to know if its weighing accurately or at least weighing consistently wrong.

I don't "zero" beam scale, I calibrate them to a weight. For example, if I'm using 43.2 grains of something I'll use the combination 40 and 45 to verify its span within that target weight. I don't care if it accurate at 10 or 100, I'm not using it at those weights.

Yes, it will add 30 seconds time when reloading, but at least you'll know if the scale weighing what you think it is.

Bill