PDA

View Full Version : SS .260 thread question

fla9-40
05-28-2014, 10:18 AM
I bought a SS .260 barrel from a member and upon receiving the barrel I noticed after removing the shipping wrap that about 1/2" down the threads and about 1/8 wide the threads were missing. Assuming they got galled up sometime and someone turned the bad threads off, does this lead to problems? Is it safe?

BillPa
05-28-2014, 02:14 PM
If it was a used barrel chances are pretty good the guy didn't bother checking the front mount screw length before he installed it so it messed up the barrel threads when he removed the barrel.

You'll most likely need to clean them up to turn it in the action and put the nut on but it should be OK to install and shoot.

Can you post a picture if it?

Bill

fla9-40
05-31-2014, 09:33 AM
I agree with you BillPa, the missing threads looks to align up where the front base mount screw would be.
Looks like he cut the messed up threads off with a lathe. I have it all head spaced in an action or I would post some pic's of it.
It screwed on the action with ease, no problem what so ever.

Just wondering if there might be a problem with it like it is....

foxx
05-31-2014, 09:42 AM
I'm no engineer, but I gotta think there's more than enough threads still there to hold it safely. I'm betting you could remove 2/3rd of the threads and it would still hold.

scope eye
05-31-2014, 09:48 AM
It will be fine, but from your post you were obviously not aware of this, when you consummated the transaction, I don't care who it is, all I can say is NOT COOL.
Full Disclosure on condition of wares sold.

Dean

foxx
05-31-2014, 09:54 AM
it will be fine, but from your post you were obviously not aware of this, when you consummated the transaction, i don't care who it is, all i can say is not cool.
Full disclosure on condition of wares sold.

Dean

+1

absolutely!

BillPa
05-31-2014, 04:01 PM
As a public service BEFORE installing screws make , steal or borrow( forget to return) one of this here thingies....
http://i44.tinypic.com/167rpdz.jpg

Its a simple depth gauge. It especially useful to prevent wreaking barrel threads!

http://i43.tinypic.com/25soolt.jpg

With the mount on the rifle or barrel loosen the weighted rod and let it drop until it bottoms out on something. Snug the thumbscrew the compare the rod protrusion to the screw threads.
http://i43.tinypic.com/1ewiue.jpg

At a glance you can see if a screw is too long, too short or just right. Its an ingenious little gadget, I wish I would have thought of it!:p

Bill

FW Conch
06-01-2014, 08:01 AM
Mr. Bill, once again you have demonstrated that you are just "amazing"!

But please don't let it go to your head! :-))

BillPa
06-01-2014, 12:06 PM
Mr. Bill, once again you have demonstrated that you are just "amazing"!

Not really, I just do silly things like checking if there is water in the pool before going off the high board.:p

That type of gadget is probably at least few hundred years old. They were used by carpenters to gauge the depth of holes, mortices and etc. We just adapted it as a simple,quick and dirty way to see if mount screws are too long, too short or just right.

Now, if you can convince Maw (wife) I'm amazing...........:p

Bill