PDA

View Full Version : So Easy :)

Stork
05-27-2014, 06:04 PM
A great website and a lot of really good knowledgeable folks seem to frequent here. My first post here, mainly as I've never owned a Savage for no other reason that the right deal never happened at the right time. However my nephew did at my suggestion.
First time rebarreling a Savage. My nephew bought the original stock 308 HB and wanted a longer barrel and possibly better accuracy. He went with the 28" full bull Criterion from Northland. He had nothing but praise for the helpful folks there. I already had the Go & No-go gauges, so he also picked up the action wrench and barrel nut wrench. Old barrel came off smoothly and after cleaning all the threads the new one went on smooth as silk. Set the headspace at Go + .002, just in case we run into some ammo that's plus sized.

Next move is this weekend. Taking my portable press, 4064, 4895, (RE15 if we can find any), and a variety of 165 gr bullets to the range to work up some loads.

While I've had nothing but good things to say about them, I've never actually owned a Savage. I may have to pick one up just so I can play with swapping barrels around.

The nephew is like a black hole. By that I mean absorbing everything he can about reloading, long range shooting, optics, triggers, anything gun related. I gave him about 10 years of old Precision Shooting magazines I had boxed up. He hates to have to read anything unless it's about building high performance Diesel engines, 1911's, or long range rifles. Kind of reminds me of me at that age-just without the diesel engine know how & the 1911's. Still don't know squat about diesels, but have picked up a bit on the other 2.

Stork

ps: Shooting Bullseye and long range Prairie dogging have been my main passions for the last 15 years.

tufrthnails
05-27-2014, 06:09 PM
Welcome to the site.

scooterf79
05-28-2014, 02:40 AM
Welcome! Just keep us posted on your results :-)

barrel-nut
05-28-2014, 06:37 AM
Welcome Stork! Great to help teach a new shooter. Your nephew has three very expensive hobbies, with this one probably the cheapest lol.

Stork
05-28-2014, 09:37 AM
Your nephew has three very expensive hobbies, with this one probably the cheapest lol.

Barrel nut, You're right on the money there. Last time I asked he had about 50k into his 97 f-350. If memory serves, he picked up the truck for about 15.

03mossy
05-28-2014, 10:44 AM
Welcome, you and your nephew are going to fit in just fine!

Stork
06-02-2014, 03:03 PM
We got a chance to do a little ladder testing @300 yds over the weekend. Because of the wind & rain we didn't have as time as I'd have liked to really get into fine testing. We just worked with the 4064 and Nostler Ballistic Tips, Hornady BTSP Interlocks, and Sierra Gamekings, all 165 gr. Both the Nostlers & Hornadys gave us the highest velocities at what seemed to be favorable nodes. The Sierras sweet spot seemed to be at lest 100-125 fps less.

Now to play with some 3 and 5 shot groups around the sweet spots.

We also shot some of his match ammo that was grouping around 1 1/4-1 1/2" @ 100 yds with the original bbl that we had no idea of round count through. The new pipe was shooting it under an inch at 300, 5 shot groups. I was behind him calling shot's while spotting for him. What a rush watching holes appear that close together @ 300. Really good trigger control for such limited experience. I'm very proud of him.

Also happened to be his birthday on Saturday. He said it was a good one, I thought so too.
Stork

scooterf79
06-02-2014, 10:53 PM
Sounds like you've got a winner there. Shooting really well it seems like! Keep us posted on your load development
Scooter