PDA

View Full Version : Long Range Caliber Choice

Pages : [1] 2

jsglano1
05-26-2014, 11:06 PM
Hey guys I am looking to start up a new caliber for some long range shooting, I am a old schooler I guess, I currently shoot & load .308 & Tinker with .243win, just as a hobby and have not done any competition stuff. I am shooting 3-500 yards currently, but would like to start to reach 600-1000 yards with any luck. I am currently looking at trying a rifle in 7mm Rem Mag or 300 Win.but would welcome any tips or pointers, pros & cons / reasons why or why not / these calibers? Also what are they using at the local ranges currently. Open to all input....

Sincerely
Jsglano1

foxx
05-26-2014, 11:14 PM
I believe the 260 cartridge and the others in 6.5mm have better bc and lighter recoil than any of the larger ones you mention. They are certainly capable of handling 1000 yards with relative ease.

jsglano1
05-26-2014, 11:53 PM
I do love the 260 rem. I Just find it a little more difficult getting ammo, and or supplies for loading it as compared to others but i would agree a great round, thanks for your reply

LoneWolf
05-27-2014, 12:59 AM
Your standard answers are going to be the 6.5CM or the 260 Remington based on what you've stated you want to do. In all honesty you can get a 308 or 243 to do what you want to do. The advantage of the 6.5 chamberings is the selection of bullets if you're a reloader and the fact that they push those bullets very efficiently.

I've spent the last year tuning my 308 for 1000yds shooting with the 175gr class bullets. Usually SMK's or Nosler Custom Comps. If you're just starting out in Long Range shooting the 308 is great to learn on when built up and tuned properly. After a year of shooting the 308 in both recreational and competition such a 600 and 1000 yards F-Class and Steel matches ranging from 100-900yds I've learned a lot. I've decided to go with a 6.5-06 A-Square for my second build and further my long range shooting ability.

I will probably rebarrel the 308 to 260, 6.5CM, or 6.5x47 when I'm done with it, but for now I wanted to go with something a little different to develope my reloading and shooting experience a little further.

kevwil
05-27-2014, 01:07 AM
You can reach 1000 yards with any of the calibers mentioned so far. The 243 and 308 are a bit more challenging than the 260 or the magnums, but can do it without much trouble. If you like the kick of a powerful cartridge and want to tease yourself with thoughts of reaching a mile, the magnums would be the way to go. The 260 or 6.5 Creedmoor will probably be the easiest - judging by my 260 perhaps too easy. If you want a challenge, tinker with that 243 some more - there are videos on the 'net of guys hitting steel targets at something like 1200 yards with 105gr bullets.

I dabbled with 7mm-08 and came to the conclusion that it can't push the best 7mm bullets fast enough - the good 7mm projectiles are better in magnums (or a good 280 Ackley). But good 7mm bullets are really good. :)

I'd vote for either 260 (handloading) or 6.5mm Creedmoor (factory ammo), or the 7mm Magnum.

bootsmcguire
05-27-2014, 01:07 AM
The 243 and 308 are both capable of doing a good job out to 1K, but I understand the need for something different.

Anything 6.5mm is really popular right now. The 300WSM is one that is often overlooked for its long range potential. Loaded with some quality bullets it should be plenty capable. I suppose you could combine both of those thoughts and go with a 6.5-WSM. I have a 6-WSM and love it, but I have not stretched it out just yet.

LoneWolf
05-27-2014, 01:13 AM
An unofficial record 2.659" 10 shot group at 1000yds was shot with a 6mm Dasher using Berger Bullets. Good reloading and a tuned rig is what makes all the difference.

Jamie
05-27-2014, 10:25 AM
.243 Win is an easy choice for me unless you are shooting groups, then I would go with the Dasher or 6XC, maybe 6x47 Lapua. If you are shooting steel and rocks then go with .243 Win or Ai version. Ai version will get you to 1K with roughly half the drop of the .260 Rem. Unless you are hunting, I wouldn't consider the magnums.

jsglano1
05-29-2014, 02:07 AM
Thanks great advice you are right a lot of input on creedmoore and .260 for sure...thanks you

kaiser552
05-30-2014, 02:50 PM
I have a model 10fp in 308 it wont shoot accurate over 6 or 7 hundred yards. Its bone stock so maybe a new barrel might help. I switched to a 338 lapua for my long range shooting.

wbm
05-30-2014, 09:10 PM
The 300WSM is one that is often overlooked for its long range potential.

Indeed. The .308 done right!

markb317
06-18-2014, 02:51 PM
I use a .243 for long range shoots around my area and can't think of a shoot that I had a disadvantage compared to the other shooters. The two competions are out to 1165yds. I have a 28" barrel 1-8" twist and shoot 105 hybrids at 3160ft/sec. with a 100yd zero it takes 9.5 MOA for 600yds and for 1000yds it is 23 MOA and 3.3 MOA of windage for a 5mph wind.

normmatzen
06-24-2014, 01:45 PM
I have been shooting NBRSA long range 600yd and 1000 yd competitively for 5 years. I started with a 243 WIN Shilen pre-fit and a Savage PTA in a SSS Dog Tracker scope. It worked out fine, but the 6BRs beat me bad.
Another point not mentioned in the replys above is barrel life. Don't forget, the most expensive consumable in competition shooting is barrels! the 243 WIN IS a barrel burner. Also, any of the magnum loads are barrel burners. You will find, most really competitive shooters probably use a 6BRX or 6Dasher as these have excellent ballistics with 105gr bullets, use little powder and a barrel can last up to 3000 rounds. A lot of heavy guns are 284 WIN and 284 Shaheen. These rounds have moderate barrel life and reasonable recoil, but free recoil may not be an option as the recoil pretty much demands shoulder contact at firing to control the recoil. There are some short magnum in 7mm and 30 cal, but not many.
I moved from the 243 WIN to a 6BRX with my own chamber reamer and the local best smith to chamber it. Still stick to the PTA though! My performance improved with this gun! Now I shoot in nationals and have worked my standing up to sometimes one score will be in the top ten. I just built a second gun in 284 WIN and am in the process of tuning it. It finally is showing possibilities. I chose 284 WIN over 284 Shaheen as the extra 100fps isn't worth the effort in my opinion. The 284 WIN does have excellant ballistics with 180gr Berger Hybrids, but don't think that alone will make you a great shooter! There IS wind drift in 6BRs as well as 284 WIN as well as 7mm REM MAG, and you must adapt to it. I consider that as a second order effect as not being able to account for the 7mm drift is just as bad as not doing it with 6BR! There is just a different amount of drift in the different loads and I consider that a constant to learn.
In closing, I sometimes get beat by a couple shooters in my club with straight 6BRs! That is still a good recommendation as it is cheap to shoot, cases and barrels last a long time and they are VERY easy to tune loads for. AND, they are a proven winner!

CharlieNC
06-28-2014, 05:02 PM
I have a 6BR and it shoots well; only out to 500 yards with it so far. Recently I added a 6.5x47 Lapua; I think the bullet selection is a little better for higher BC pills, and the velocities are a bit higher too (good powder availability too). Just shot it out to 1200 yards and the groups were unbelievable. Not much higher recoil, so it's easy to watch your shot impact. It will be going on an antelope hunt this Fall, but the ballistics are also comparable to the old 270 so I would not hesitate hunting big game with it. So I won't be taking the 6BR out long range any time soon.

sav250
06-28-2014, 06:14 PM
Long range to me is anything past 200 yards. I have shot beyond 200 yards on occasion and when I did the shot was a hit. No second shot.
If I wanted to land a bullet into a target over one mile away I would not choose any .30 caliber or .338 or .375 or .404 (Jeffrey) or .405 or .410 or Rigby or .458.

I would settle for the historic record of the first shot at a mile and I think that was done by a .45-70. Big and slow but reliable. The hypervelocity stuff (like a .460 Wby or .257 Wby) are moving too fast with differences in smooth flight ticking them away faster from each other to group.

The .45-70 just cannons a stable bullet of substantial weight to around the speed of sound where any rifle shooting above that level is inconsistent in bullet flight having the same errors as a slower moving (but heavier) bullet through the air.

I have a friend who said to me he used to spend time shooting the .45-70 with his brothers across their land. They'd aim at rocks 600 yards away and once they knew the elevation it was impossible to miss.

sav250
06-28-2014, 06:23 PM
But I do have to respond to the question with the best of my ability and knowledge. Whether long range is 200 or 1000 yards is really not the issue. The issue is what I would choose to shoot the longest shot.

That makes it much much easier for me to answer. I would choose either a .257 Weatherby Magnum or a .264 Winchester Magnum or 7mm Remington (or Wby) Magnum or .300 Winchester Magnum or anything else feeling it is most important for the person who owns the rifle to believe in the cartridge and not the other way around.

In other words, if the cartridge is the one and you find yourself in love with it then there is no need to argue or say a word. Go to bed with your choice and live happy.

Trygve
07-05-2014, 12:22 PM
What type of competitions exactly? Also elevation is easy, knowing drop should be automatic its drift that is tricky. Also depending on the setting recoil, rifle weight, and physically tolerance and condition come into play along with the occasional oddball such as cramped spaces where you are unable to shoulder a rifle thus eye relief or takeoff and backup irons come real handy.

I do long range tactical competitions with known and unknown distances and conditions ranging from 1600 yards to 25. However i would say stay under a .308 since some matchs i have gone through 500 rounds of .308 and it can get really hard to focus on a 1200 yard away dot after 8 hours of that. .243 is nice but your going to need something with at least 25-06 power to reach in majority of situations past 600 yards where .223 is all that is needed.

Also i use my .338 lupa mag out to 1800 often and hunted to 1200 with it and .308 to 1000 all the time on targets but never past 700 hunting. Moving targets #s are great but totally different then targets. I enjoy my suppressed .308 the most out of all my rifles and would and could use it for just about anything so might want to start there and then move to specialty rounds and builds.

Muzzle breaks or Suppressors where legal are always used when i shoot to reduce fatigue and help spotting my own shots. Your also going to want to lean to short action since VDL bullets tend to seat out long and that chamber length and mag length can become an issue quick, also cycling short action is faster and they tend to be more efficient with less barrel length which is a major plus.

.260 Remington or 6.5 Creedmoor are nice but i would personally say those are the baseline for what you would want. 7mm Rem Mag. is a great round, 284 WIN and 284 Shaheen are close and both solid choices. Personally since i do not know the weather conditions where you shoot and typical match setup what i suggest is you go there and hang out maybe buy and couple extra packs of smokes and hand them out and talk people up about whats happening.

Also more of then not if a guy is new and seems nice and respectful i will let him try my rifle out at a few of the spots himself. That is the best way your going to find what round and how to balance weight, capacity, wind, drift and personality to find the right fit for you. Then just wait 2 years and 20 burned barrels you might have found a round you really like, along with a reamer and setup you feel is you ;)

tammons
07-05-2014, 02:49 PM
Would skip the 7mm mag or 300wm.

7mm I would go for a 284 or a 7mm WSM

Or I would build a 6.5x55 swede on a long action.
6.5x55 lapua brass is $0.75 per which is decent for lapua brass.

I personally set up a 223 7 twist because I like underdogs but havent gotten a chance to stretch its legs.

Last 223 7 twist I had would shoot 90 gr bergers at 1/4" at 100 yards.

6mmBR is nice too. Mine was nothing special and it took me about 30 rounds to find the right load.
3/4" at 300 yards, better for 600 yards but not quite enough umph for 1K but it would work and literally no recoil.

yobuck
07-05-2014, 06:02 PM
I have a 6BR and it shoots well; only out to 500 yards with it so far. Recently I added a 6.5x47 Lapua; I think the bullet selection is a little better for higher BC pills, and the velocities are a bit higher too (good powder availability too). Just shot it out to 1200 yards and the groups were unbelievable. Not much higher recoil, so it's easy to watch your shot impact. It will be going on an antelope hunt this Fall, but the ballistics are also comparable to the old 270 so I would not hesitate hunting big game with it. So I won't be taking the 6BR out long range any time soon.

Charlie antelope are one thing and whitetails are another. I have a good friend who killed an antelope with his 6.5x47 at 810 yards.
He was convinced he had the ultimate cartridge for up to 1000 yds. He has since added a 300 norma and the 6.5x47 has been relegated
to target shooting. If youd like to hear his stories pm me and i can make it happen.

psharon97
07-06-2014, 12:50 AM
If you're concerned about ammo availability, then the 300 win mag or the 7mm mag would be tough to beat. Components for these cartridges is tough to find like any other cartridge, but you can get ammo in just about any store that sells ammo.